30 carbine

cptjack

due to the shortage of small rifle primers ,can the 30 carbine be converted to large rifle primer or small pistol primers TKS

A large rifle primer is too large for a 30 carbine case, so it won't fit.

I've read many accounts of folks using small pistol and small pistol magnum primers in small rifles, but I've never tried it myself, so I can't comment from personal experience. From what I've read, the cup is not as thick in a small pistol primer than in a small rifle primer. Therefore, using a small pistol primer in a high pressure small rifle case could result in a pierced primer cup.

The one exception that I know of is Rem small rifle 6 1/2 primers (as opposed to Rem 7 1/2 primers). These Rem 6 1/2 small rifle primers are not indicated for use in high pressure small rifles such as 223 and others. It says so on the box. Primer cup piercing is the risk since they have thinner cups. These particular small rifle primers are, from what I've read, interchangeable with with small pistol magnum as the thinner cup allows for reliable ignition in revolvers. On this point, I do have personal experience: I regularly use Rem 6 1/2 primers in my small pistol magnum loads. I can't feel/tell the difference but I've never chronied them for comparison. No issues whatsoever.

I also load my 30 carbine with Rem 6 1/2 small rifle primers. I've never had an issue doing that.

Bayou

Sub with SP Magnum. At least with CCI in years past SPM & SR were the same primers. If you must go SP drop your pressures a bit and work back up. Back in the 90's Hornady & Federal listed 200's as SPM / SR and in the 30 Carb. they started flattening a full grain of W296 less than CCI & Win. Now the 200 is SPM and the 205 is SR.

If you go to SP work from starting and stop when flattening starts as you don't want a pierced primer.

The case head appears much too small for any attempt at enlargement of the primer pocket, and I've never heard of this being done.

Won't work. Small pistol and small rifle primers share the same dimensions. Large pistol and Large rifle differ in height.

Not only do 30Carb brass not have enough meat to widen to large rifle but the depth issue also comes into play.... no going to happen.

Sub small pistol Magnum. If you must sub small pistol use the "harder" brands if possible and drop to starting and work up slowly.

Back