30 carbine load?

ghbucky

This is a longer term project, since it seems no one is making 30 carbine brass.

If someone has a pet 30 carbine load that you rely on, please share! I can at least try to get my hands on some powder while I wait for brass to show up.

I’m excited to see some responses as I have a Ruger Blackhawk 30
Carbine and plan on reloading for it some day. I hear H-110 and HS-6 are common powders. I’ve often wondered if there’s “Ruger only” data for this cartridge as well.

For my carbines i shoot H110, or can use W296, about the standard powders for it. But I have a Blackhawk also in it I have done more experiments with that, Google
"30 carbine blackhawk paco kelly" some interesting reading.

Check with a good manual before using any of the following loads and consider all pressure implications. Trimming is important with the .30 Carbine cartridge to help prevent slam fires.

My personal load for my CMP '43 manuf. Inland GI carbine is: L-C '71 brass trimmed to min. setting (1.280"), Win Sm Rifle primers, 14.0 gr of Win 296, Remington 110 gr SP seated to 1.675" LOA. This load chrono's to 1904 fps for 5 shots in my carbine.

The same case/primer & bullet seating depth with 14.5 gr of IMI 4227 gives 1830 fps. Both will shoot into 3/4" groups at 35 yds.

The CMP article on accuracy from the .30 Carbine lists 15.0 gr of Win 296 as their best combination...velocity was a reported 1980 fps. In my carbines, this load is on the hot side. It is listed by Sierra with their 110 gr FMJ, as a max load with an LOA of 1.680".

Lastly, I've had improved accuracy by glass bedding the recoil plate area and playing around with the front band screw tension on three carbines. In all three, loosening that front band screw 1/2 turn from snug, cut my groups almost in half.

Best Regards, Rod

Last edited:
I got my start in reloading with 30 Carbine in the 1970s. My loads were conditioned on the powders I could get. 15 grains of IMR4227 and 12 grains of Hercules 2400 both worked about the same. I also used Wincheseter 630, but since it is no longer made, it's moot.

With the typical 110 gr bullet I used H-110 and 2400 . The 2400 worked fine but was a little dirty. No problem,though.

OK,this was around 1970. My handloading "skills and practices" were defined by
Does it go "bang" and cycle another round? Does it blow up the gun?
I could fling "clank clank clank " noises at fleeing jack rabbits.

Rest assured I have evolved.

I did not have a chrono or calipers. I did have a scale,which I used to calibrate dippers. 50+ years ago.

I did discover 93 gr 308 dia 30 Luger bullets were slow moving inventory . Dusty boxes. My LGS negotiated a little on the price.

They seemed pretty zippy and they were Jacketed soft points. Normas.

Designed for handgun velocity they did produce remarkable trauma in varmints. Norma used nickel jackets maybe plated. But "Silver Bullets" were kinds fun.

Thanks all for the inputs. I see I was remiss in acknowledging the advice.

Apologies

Now I'm scratching my head and wondering whats that about?

I see no trace of anyone not being a Gentleman. You certainly do not owe ME an apology.

I was just apologizing for not responding sooner to all the helpful responses, is all.

I just like to acknowledge when folks provide me answers. And I always appreciate your input, HiBC.

Last edited:
Back