30-cal Armor Piercing vs. Bonded Grizzly Defense

AR-Tenner

Hi Folks,

My wife and I are planning a two week hike for one of the coming summers through the Montana Rockies to fish for Golden and Cutthroat Trout, and I am debating what firearm and load to bring for the eventuality of an attack by a grizzly bear. I have ruled out handguns, as I would not trust my .45 ACP (even with its 230gr flat points at 950fps I use for black bear defense while fishing) or even my 10mm for a 700lb angry predator, and I have no desire to spend a huge amount of money on a .44 magnum and then as much money and years learning how to shoot it even close to as well as I can my current handguns.

Therefore, it is between my rifles or shotguns, and I MUCH prefer my rifles. As you can guess by my handle (as well as the fact that I'm the author of the new book on the AR-10), I would prefer to bring one of those, perhaps my Portuguese or modern full-length model for me and my carbine for my wife, but I am also considering taking my Garand or Remington 750 (I like the Garand better, but the 750 is over 3 pounds lighter, and with a 10-round magazine of .30-06, it would be more practical), because I have a bunch of AP ammo for those, and one can't legally get that stuff for 7.62 NATO.

A lot of folks say that a quality bonded bullet like a Nosler Partition or Hornady Interbond would be best, but although these would expand and damage tissue more, I worry that they would not be sufficient to penetrate the massive bones in a grizzly's shoulder, or particularly the skull, which is several inches of bone under thick fur and tough hide.

This is why I thought of bringing the Garand or 750 loaded with M2 AP rounds, which are perfectly reliable in both weapons, and even extremely accurate (it has been called "M2 Match" by competition Garand shooters). All the stories about how a grizzly skull is about the toughest thing in nature made me think that even though it would not make as big a wound channel (although tumbling might improve this quite a bit), the insanely hard, sharpened armor penetrator core in those M2 bullets would give me the best possible chance of punching through that grizzly's noggin, even with a glancing hit that might deflect another round.

What do y'all folks think about this idea of using an AP round for bear defense, and how do you think it would stack up to a quality bonded bullet like a Hornady Interbond? I would lean in bonded bullets towards the 150gr Interbond, because it is ballistically identical to the 150gr SST, which is all of my AR-10s' favorite bullet, and I could just use the same charge of H4895 for the Interbond as I could for the SST and not have to work up a new load.

However, for me to use a bonded bullet, though, I'd have to be able to be assured very well that it would penetrate a bear skull reliably, as when one is charging you, you are facing mostly tough bone, where expansion seems to me to not be as important as deep penetration.

Now, before the chorus of "take a shotgun with slugs" starts, I regularly hunt geese, ducks, and turkeys with 3.5" magnum loads from a 6.5lb shotgun, so I am very familiar with the platform and not at all recoil shy. I do recognize, however, the limitations of the different platforms and my own abilities with them. I have done a lot of comparison shooting, and although I am an experienced shotgunner (well, as experienced as a guy in his 20s who was raised by gun-hating liberals can be), in the time it takes me to put 3 3" magnum slugs on a silhouette target at 25, 15, or 10 yards, even from my considerably heavier Benelli Supernova Tactical, I can put the whole 20rd magazine of any of my AR-10s on the same target.

No matter how used to the recoil I am, the sheer power of that Benelli coming back has knocked me over before, even with 2.75" buckshot and slug loads when I have had to shoot quickly on unstable ground with poor footing, or from a kneeling position. This might well be my situation if unexpectedly charged by a bear, and in those same types of stances, the AR-10s with their straight-line stocks, Battlecomps, smooth semi-auto actions can essentially stay locked on target for very rapid and long strings of fire.

Also, I just plain hate carrying my shotguns, as my Supernova in particular loves to flip over when carried across my chest on its tactical sling. The AR-10s or .30-06 rifles, in contrast, stay tucked in tight, and I almost forget I am wearing them when hiking.

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

I carry a 44mag, while hiking and camping. Consensus in the breakroom is go heavy or stay home. I think it was 5 years ago when 8 hunters were ambushed by grizzlies in Montana, including the Deputy Commmissioner of Dept of Wildlife, parks and Fisheries. All were injured, only one was killed. Six of the eight were carrying deer rifles and only other hunters in the vicinity kept these attacks from being eight fatalities.

Point is you can kill a grizzly at 100yds with any reasonable high powered rifle, such as 30-06, at 100yds, if you are hunting them. You're not going to have 100yd though. You will be lucky to have 2 seconds. I don't think 30-06 with AP is going to suitable at all. It is going to over penetrate, doing minimal tissue damage.

Even if you don't want to hear it, I would use the slug gun. Outfitters and guides tend to like the heavy magnums, 338WM, 340WBY and such, along with lever rifles in 45-70, 450Marlin, loaded heavy with a tough bullet.

You might consider Bear spray. I would feel safer using spray, than your M-1 or Ar-10. I own and reload for 300, WBY and 340WBY, but don't carry them hiking out of season. This is Montana no one would look at you twice for carrying a big game rifle while out for a strole in the Beartooth Mountains. Enjoy the scenery, it's God's country. Welcome and be safe.

You fill a bear full of .308 and it is going to die, and die quick. Don't use AP that is dumb. Regular hunting ammo, preferably a nice heavy bullet and you should be fine. Don't use the Garand it is not designed to shoot hunting ammo.

There's no doubt that Grizz is tough. But he (she's) not armor plated. .30 AP M2 is likely to only poke .30 cal holes through the bear. IF you hit the CNS, all well and good. IF NOT, the bear will die, but maybe, not before you do...

On the other hand, one fellow survived a grizzly attack, and killed the bear by stabbing it with a broadhead arrow (during bow season). he was seriously injured, but did survive.

I remember reading, ages ago, about "old Mose" the largest grizz taken in Colorado, back in 1901. It took 8 rounds of .30-40 Krag, and only the distraction of the dog pack kept the bear from the hunter.

A heavy caliber rifle, with non expanding bullets is proven medicine for dangerous game world wide. If you are wedded to the AR, I would suggest something like the .50 Beowulf.

You're really serious about carrying a 9-10# full sized battle rifle(M-1 Garand) along on a hike? If you feel the need, take the .308 loaded with 165-180 controlled expansion bullets. If you can shoot the 10mm well enough, rest assured it's got the umph to do the job(maybe even better than the rifle you can't reach).
FWIW
The last time we went to places where grizzlies roam, the major power firearm carried was a folding stock pump 12 gauge.

Hunting a grizzly is pretty much a controlled situation, where the odds are that you'll see the bear at some distance, and quite possibly before the bear sees you.

Stopping a charge is an entirely different situation. Odds are that your available response time is measured in seconds. So, in normal hiking, even when being observant, I see the issue as being, "With what can I defend myself the fastest?"

Yeah, you won't need the AP ammo unless the bear is barricaded. :D As noted, grizzlies are tough, as in can take a lot of abuse before retreating or succumbing and not as in impenetrable.

So you shoot 30-06 better than your shotgun? I find a shotgun much more manageable, personally. If your shotgun doesn't do right with the sling you have on it, get a different sling. Shotguns, loaded with slugs, are a common bear self defense tool, particularly pump guns. They are reliable and plenty accurate for the distances involved and make big holes. Most, if not all, can be reloaded while partially loaded and a round chambered.

There are plenty of hunting rounds that work in the Garand just fine if you go this route and they have been discussed in various threads on TFL.

.50 Beowulf (mentioned) or .458 Socom, and Bushmaster's .450 will all give you the approximate ballistics of a modern .45-70 by bullets of similar size and weight in a semiauto AR platform...which is really cool and the .45-70 is a proven big game round.

As for the .308 option, most folks would consider it on the low end for grizzlies. If you go that route, I would suggest dumping the 150 gr. SST and finding a heavier bullet that your gun will shoot well. Since you are talking about self defense and not hunting, you are looking at accuracy inside of 100 yards and probably more realistically inside of 50 yards. So you don't need a tack driver at distance, but a rail spike driver at short range. More bullet is better than less bullet. So if your gun will reliably cycle a 168-175 gr. round, go with the heavier bullet. Even if it shoots terrible 2" groups at 50 yards, I would take that over a tack driver lighter bullet given that your defensive shooting is going to be very short range.

Art brings up a good point. What can you deploy fast? One of the most common kinds of "attacks" occurs when bears and humans encounter one another unexpectedly, often at very close distance. A grizzly can cover 50 yards in 3-4 seconds. This is probably a worst case scenario, but that is exactly what many of these surprise encounters are. So, what gun can you be shooting inside of that time, keeping in mind that the bear is charging you and you will have a firing distance of 0-10 yards. You aren't apt to get the opportunity for "rapid, long strings" of fire and you aren't apt to be staying on target very well as the target may be moving up to 40 mph, possibly bounding at you. It is really hard to hit bounding targets well, especially if they are bounding left and right as they come at you. They can basically bounce in and out of your sight picture as the bound about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fbQgjlpjgo (false charge, but some bounding)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUeQTcbfss0 (NSFWF - Language, slow but scary aggression by bear that steals a fish from fisherman)

Surprised cyclist...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMa5-n2OVc (NSFWF - Language, I think)

I'd agree that the 458 SOCOM or 50 Beowulf are the best, but lacking that an M-1 with 220 grain RN bullet is fine if the load is made for the M1s gas system. Such a load (which I have used myself) is as follows.

GI Brass
WW LR Primer.
220 Grain Hornady RN bullets
44.3 gr or IMR 4064

This gives about 2350 FPS. Keep in mind that the largest Grizzly ever killed in the lower 48 was killed with a 30-40 Krag with the same bullet weight, but at only 2000 FPS. And the M-1 is far faster and hold 3 more rounds. The M-1 is a very good camp or trail rifle in Grizzly country

The .30 AP's 168 grain bullet was made for drilling neat little holes in up to 3" of armour plate. Most likely go right through Yogi without doing much of anything except making him extremely PO'd. It has absolutely no place for hunting or for somebody who is afraid of bears.
"...a grizzly at 100yds..." Said Griz can cover that 100 yards in less than 6 seconds. 2.9 for 50 yards. At 0-10 yards, you become the picnic basket. Even though Yogi only wants a fish, he'll swat you away to get 'em.
He runs flat out at 35 mph and he can move through the bush in absolute silence. So the chances of you recognizing any possible threat and reacting fast enough are exceedingly slim.
And you really do not want to lug a 9 pound rifle and ammo when you have all the other stuff related to fishing to haul.

Also consider the effects of weather on the choice of weapon.
A pump shotgun should weather the weather better, especially in the rain.

Man, that second video you posted Double Naught Spy, where the bear takes the fish, just wow!!! You are on a whole new level of stupid if you go into that country without a firearm and the best you can do is throw rocks. Kudos to the guy risking his butt for the other fisherman, just let it be known that if you are ever in grizzly country with a guy whos forum name is Targa, he will be the guy yelling...Yeh, keep filming as he runs past the other morons...:D

Forget the Garand and for that matter the 750. The Garand was made to fire ammo with a certain pressure curve and good hunting ammo will bend the op rod and at the most unopportune time. The 750 and 752's are tempermental as well. 173 gr. AP 30-06 is a horrible choice.

As far as those saying 50 Beowolf. 45Socom, etc. forget that advice as well. They are stuck in the AR-15 mentality. WRONG platform.

For carry in: carry out. Go with your 7.62x51 AR-10. Use a good BONDED CORE 165 gr. load. This will give you a good balance of penetration, expansion, velocity. If you feel so compelled, go to a 180 gr. bullet that your gun fires well. A 308 gives up very little to 30-06 when fired from a Garand or Rem 75X series.

bears

The two fellas I know who actually pulled some bear protection duty were issued pump shotguns and Brenneke slugs.
The one fella had a PG/ folding stock and carried it nearly everywhere. If you've watched the Alaska Troopers show, they seem to lean towards the shotgun and Brenneke's also.

There's a big name bear guide in Alaska (Shoemaker?) that has experimented with a big bore AR as a bear back up, his article said he liked it, but I've not read any further from that fella on the subject.

I'd take a handgun, the fact you can have it on your person near always can't be overlooked, but only as a back up to the slug gun as a primary.

Ain't now way I'd hump a Garand, especially with AP ammo, ......but maybe the bayonet would be useful.........;). Seems I've read that there was a fella that did indeed hunt Grizzly with a Garand, and killed quite a few.

Take a shotgun and slugs and pepper spray, but if you do happen to shoot a bear...I sure hope you have some bite or claw marks. If not, hire a lawyer. With the ESA laws today, you'll be looking at some serious penalties for shooting a grizzly. Chances are most likely you won't even see one. I wouldn't worry about it, there ain't one behind every tree.

Bear attacks are extremely rare. Usually made by sows when someone appears to threaten cubs. Be aware and alert and avoid close encounters. Make noise while moving about as the vast majority of bears will leave rather than meet a human. Don't want to come up on one by surprise.

Bear attacks on humans have been known to happen. If I felt the need to be armed against a bear attack I would take a short, lightweight pump 12 gauge with 3" 00 Buck loads and pray I don't need to use the gun. Mostly, to avoid bears I don't go where bears live. Problem solved.

AP ammo? Was that a serious question? Do you have any idea how many bears have been killed with 44-40s, 30-30s and the like? They are not tanks.

No they are not tanks.

Massad Ayoob, in the Backwoodsman, has a blog and he linked to an article on defense from bears with guns. Very enlightening.

The man, Larry Mudgett, wrote the article. Amazing how many handguns are used to defend people from bears and how successful they are!

http://www.marksmanshipmatters.com/dangerous-predators-stopped-with-handguns/

Notice quite a few .45 ACP and .40 S&Ws used. Even 9mm! Knives to!

But the upshot was, as long as you have about 4 ft to 6 ft of penetration of hide, muscle and organs, then the gun should be able to do IF the shooter can shoot.

And yes, pepper spray has many faults.... and the stats are skewed cause many rangers merely use the spray to drive off bears being nuances and not real attacks.

Deaf

"Backwoods HOME," Deaf, "BackwoodsHOME," LOL. As noted when you posted previously, the article has some interesting examples, but is an ad for a predator defense course.

Bear attacks are extremely rare.

What people report at "attacks" are uncommon (many of which are bluff charges or are acts of defense). Attacks where the bear actually makes contact with humans are much more uncommon. One factor that seems almost 100% certain (I can recall only 1 exception), if a scared, injured, or angry bear makes contact with you, there will be a hospital visit in your future if you survive.

In August and September 2016, there have been quite a few attacks, but fortunately not many deaths...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/bear-attack-la-ronge-sask-sept17-2016-1.3767215
http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/jacks...cle_3afeb97c-a2be-5ca4-9fa6-7f7db4cfceb4.html
http://missoulian.com/news/state-an...cle_b755c28c-591c-55f1-9623-e9a21c878b0a.html
http://www.whsv.com/content/news/Warren-County-woman-gets-hit-by-black-bear--391823881.html
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/wei...Sitka-Alaska-Cruise-Excursion--390715471.html
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bear-labrador-attack-prince-george-1.3740773

Actually the firearms used were quite effective over the years.

In TOM S. SMITH's article on effectiveness of firearms his database covers 1883–2009. That includes a lot of black powder guns including cap-n-ball (he never showed any data as to what exactly was used or how it was used.)

"Human Dimensions Efficacy of Firearms for Bear Deterrence in Alaska"

http://www.polarbearsinternational....errence_in_alaska_2014_01_29_15_23_07_utc.pdf

As he said: "Success rates** by firearm type were similar with 84% of handgun users (31 of 37) and 76% of long gun users (134 of 176) successfully defending themselves from aggressive bears."

Kind of strange handguns had more success than long guns but that may be cause they are faster to get into action and only one hand needed.

But not bad. No telling how many used low powered guns. And his suggestion was, "Our findings suggest that only those proficient in firearms use should rely on them for protection in bear country." No kidding. I would think being proficient with ANYTHING would be something to recommend.

What is more, he gave a break down of why firearms failed to protect from bears. Ranged from mechanical issues to problems with the 'safety' to lack of time to respond to the bear to tripping and falling!!!, etc. Hmm tripping and falling is a firearms failure?

Interestingly, in his other research on bear spray,

Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/bear_cougar/bear/files/JWM_BearSprayAlaska.pdf

No mention of tripping or falling or problems with the safeties (that pin in the bear spray IS the safety.) Nor did any of them have a 'lack of time to respond to the bear'.

Kind of makes you suspect the research, right? Maybe cause they know it won't kill the bears, maybe they 'spray first' and ask questions later and many of the encounters were not so dangerous (as you pointed out DNS, bluff charges.) Seems none of them panicked for it to be 100 percent effective with no 'spray equipment failures'.

Still, nearly an average of 80 percent effectiveness with apparently any firearm, is not bad. Which is just what Larry Mudgett said in his article I linked to at Backwoods HOME!

Deaf

**Smiths definition of success in both studies was, "We defined successful outcomes as bear spray having stopped the undesirable behavior of the bear. A bear that no longer pursues a person, breaks off an attack, abandons attempts to acquire food or garbage, or turns and leaves the area are examples of successful outcomes."

I lived and guided in Montana through the late 60s until 1980. My only rifle back then was my BDL in 270 and I only felt undergunned when it was leaning against a tree while I was fishing. You guessed it, grizzly up close and personal. Just talked him into leaving. A rifle will do you no good if it's not with you. Seems obvious, but you would be surprised at how many knowledgeable and experienced folks make the same mistake I did. I carry a pistol now, Springfield V16 in 45 Super. Easy to carry, not too worried about it getting wet. Beats the hell out of a rifle 100 feet away. If you're bringing a rifle a 30-06 with 200g or heavier premium expanding bullets is a nice place to start.

Back