.30-40 rechamber?

gmarr

I don't reload, I should and probably will soon, but here's a question to get things started. I have a 1898 Springfield in .30-40 Krag. I understand that brass is available and that British .303 brass can also be used to reload.

Can the .30-40 be rechambered to something else more available? Is it feasable? And if so what calibers?

Thanks

I can't think of anything you could rechamber a Krag to that has better ammo / brass availability. A Krag is a miracle of machining (labor was cheaper in those days), but it's not a terribly strong design, metallurgy was not as advanced as it is now and every one of them is well over 100 years old.

In short it's not a good platform for wildcatting or customizing. Do whatever it takes to get some 30-40 Krag ammo and/or brass and keep your reloads well within published specs.

Last edited:
I know of no suitable chamber reaming options that would lead to a more readily-available cartridge.

Run the .30-40 and be happy with it. It's a great cartridge.
You just have to be ready to jump on the ammo (or brass) when it's available, and buy all that you think you'll need (plus 40% more ;)).

Issue is the Krag's rim. Makes it more than just a re-chambering job. Cost of the work would be astronomical too. Likely less expensive to make or have cases made.

Back when they were cheap surplus, there were some interesting Krag gunsmithing projects. But conversion to common 21st century cartridges was not one of them.

Don't bother trying to rechamber the Krag. I don't know about your area, but in the Pacific NW, Krag brass still shows up at the gun shows, though I will admit not much lately.

I've got a few hundred virgin cases (mostly R-P) that I haven't gotten to use yet, so I'm not really in the market right now. All were bought at gun shows over the last few years.

I'm a bit unusual, my .30-40 Krag is a Ruger! (No.3)
and my Krag is a Norwegian in 6.5x55mm Swede!

There were Krag rifles (outside the US) made in other calibers, the only one still "alive" is the 6.5x55, and don't even think of trying to convert a .30-40 to that.

If you find a mad machinist, who wants a real project, it might be possible, but for sure it will cost you more than the price of two or three good modern rifles. I wouldn't bother.

Just buy .30-40 when you can find it, and when you do find it, stock up a bit.

I got mine!:D (and no, not interested in selling any;))

Good Luck!

oh, and when you get into handloading, DO NOT try to maximize the Krag, its a good way to destroy the rifle and maybe get hurt. They are old, the metal alloy isn't as good as modern steels, heat treatment was done "by eye" and they only have ONE locking lug. Stick to 2200fps for 180gr and 2000ish fps for 220gr (or less) and be happy with it. Those loads have killed dead everything that walks in North America, including record size grizzly bear, so don't worry about being undergunned. Do your part, and the Krag will do it's part, every bit as well as it has been doing since 1898.

I stumbled across this article some time ago.I think Krag shooters may want to save it.
Its a fact,Krag brass is hard to find.
So is loaded ammo.
Given cases are scarce,and the Krag is NOT a candidate for hot rodding....
The gentleman who wrote the article suggests the 30-40 is among the best for cast bullet loading.He suggests molds and loads that work well to 1900 fps with 200 is gr bullets.Thats not giving up much from jacketed.It will be a easy on the rifle and pressures will be safe.

I have not made it there yet,I have a minor job to do(barrel band retainer,carbine.Forend tip too short for original.Itsa 'Round Tuit thing)
I have not slugged groove dia.I do know via pin gages,bore dia is .303.
The classic mold he mentioned....maybe 311284? was designed for the Krag,long ago.Lyman offers a variant,maybe 313284? designed for .303 Brit.Same mold,just larger dia.Between them,a person might get a fit.

So the brass ought to last a long time...what will help,Forster,at least for their dies,offers a service to hone the neck portion of the sizing dieto your spec.Thats one way to minimize working the brass.A .303 expander ball can be polished for optimum neck tension.
That ought to help ward off splitnecks.

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCB30-40Krag.htm

I would stick with the 30-40 and reload. Actually I do so that's what I do. My Remington Lee loves to eat and is a great shooter. In the midwest 30-40 ammo tends to pop up more than other areas. I could probably go to the nearest cabelas and buy 10 boxes right now.

Back