Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffly

I have started shooting Lever action Rifles and like them alot, I was wondering what is the biggest game you would hunt with a 30.30. Could you take an Elk with one? Or how about a 45.70, what could you hunt with that. And what range are these calibers good for? thanks for any info. Jeff

If you like em' now wait till you have to get off a fast second shot and you will love them.

Browning makes a Lever Action chambered in calibers like .30-06 that is great.

These are two cartridges compliment each other. Thirty-thirty is a great all round caliber. You can hunt just about anything to about 300-400lbs. You can even hunt varmints using Remington Accelerator bullets. Then with the 45-70 Government you can hunt all the remaining critters over 400 lbs on the face of this earth. And its a great excuse to own two guns.

Guy with the most toys, wins!

Robert

I have used the 30-30 to hunt deer and black bear out to about 150 yards to good effect. Elk? That would be iffy, maybe at close range if you pick your shot. The 45-70 would be much better, still keep it to around 150 yards. I use a savage M99 in 300 savage for most of my hunting, but the 30/06 gets used for bigger game (elk, ect).

A 30.06 sounds great. that's my favorite caliber. I was told not to load a pointed bullet in a lever action rifle. Does any one make a factory round nose for 30.06 or do you load your own? Thanks Jeff

Jeffly,
If the lever gun is tubular fed....don't use the pointy bullets.
If the lever gun is magazine fed...it don't matter bro.

Take care :)

------------------
"Lead, follow or get the HELL out of the way."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back