.30-30 VS. .308 : What Caliber To Use On Alligators?

FUD

I'm not a hunter and I don't plan on actually hunting gators but I do have a serious alligator problem and I'm curious what caliber would be best to use for self defense purposes when a gator might be making him way toward you, or a loved one, less than a hundred feet away? I'm sort of thinking either a .30-30 or a .308 but am wide open to suggestions. By the way, while I've owned handguns for nearly two decades, I have absolutely NO expereinces with long guns whatsoever.
FUD
fudflag.gif
Share what you know & learn what you don't

FUD...kinda depends on the gun and your ability to shoot it and shoot well. Either will do the job...but with my .30-30 I couldn't kneel down inside a 50gal drum, have the lid sealed on and pull the trigger and be sure I'd hit the drum. ;)

.308-got one? Usually your .30-30 is smaller than the .308. I'd like a .308 myself.

We used to use .22's for killing gators...but that's with a well aimed headshot and not a 'being chased in circles' deal.

Prpoer shot placement is gonna be the key no matter what...you hit him in the ass and he aint gonna stop...probly won't feel it till tomorrow as he's burping up your remains.

Soo...if you got one or the other-use it. If you gotta shop for one...consider the weight and length of the weapon. And unload it ALL into the head if able no matter what you use.

------------------
Satanta, the Whitebear
Sat's Realm: http://SatantasRealm.tripod.com/Entrypage/entrypage.html

My Disability petition: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/DisbHelp/petition.html

The USDA guys here have an alligator skull in their collection. The brain is about the size of a walnut.

For a CNS kill, a 12 ga with # 4 buck may be the way to go. For breaking it down via shoulder/pelvis hits, the .30-30 or any decent rifle would work. I would be happy with a good 12 Ga and some slugs.

Try a M870 Express. Should be about $275 or so at a discount store.

BTW - this ain't a person - it has to bite you. If you break his propulsion method (legs) he can't hurt you. The small moving target is tailor made for a shotgun.

Giz

A very strong human cannot stop a gator from closing his jaws. An average-strength human can hold a gator's jaws shut.

So...See where this is going? You just grab his jaws and hold them shut and everything will be okay!

While you're holding the gator, your wife or kid is calling the nice game warden to come and collect the gator, quite humanely, and take him someplace else!

You're welcome,

Art

FUD...I agree with Gizmo...the shotgun might be best...maybe alternate between slugs and 00 or #4's.

[[didn't even consider the shotgun on my first reply.]]

Tsk tsk,

For gators, a 12 weight fly rod using a steel leader and a "Harlan Sanders Special" (HSS) would be more appropriate. The HSS is supposed to resemble a Rhode Island Red (hen) and is good for sunny days.
If its cloudy or raining you'll want to use a wet fly, something like a large plucked fryer that you can bounce along in the bottom in a drift technique.
For small gators, go with a "nymph" - a Cornish Game Hen and a lighter leader.

Hope this helps!

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

A lever action Marlin 45-70 would do the trick and not frighten the neighbors as much as a FAL 308. Maybe someone can make up some reptile hard cast loads for the vermin.

dZ

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glamdring:
FUD you just need to get a *real* knife like Croc Dundee :D[/quote]

Dundee just thrust it through the crocs head from the top . So all you REALLY need is a big knife . Oh, did I mention you also need a pair of Brass Ones ? :D

------------------
TOM
SASS AMERICAN LEGION NRA GOA

BWAAHAAHAAHHAAA

Keith Rogan, you almost ruined my keyboard. I guess the other posters aren't fly fisherman. But that was the best laugh I've had in weeks.

When is the Rhode Island Red hatch in Florida? And how do you tie them?

Dave,

Yeah, these guys are savages and don't really appreciate the finer arts like angling.
In Florida, the Rhode Island Reds hatch out all year - tropics ya know.
If the Harlan Sanders technique doesn't work, you can always toss a stick in the water and then troll a mop head past it while calling out "Get the stick muffy - good dog muffy!"

This works so well it oughta be illegal.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Well, yeah, Keith, and if you put a cap in the end of the right kind of stick, with some fuse on it--well, you can have fresh gator tail, catfish, perch...Lots of potential, there.

As usual, Art

"I'm on top of the food chain, and I ain't gonna live on lettuce!"

Back