.30-30 Rolling Block?

Model12Win

Hey gang!

How goes it? And HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! :D

I am interested in a Pedersoli made Remington Rolling Block sporting rifle. This one here.

What really draws me to this gun is that it is available in .30-30 Winchester. I've long wanted a gun in this caliber. I am not a reloader, but see that .30-30 ammo is MUCH cheaper than .45-70 ammo. That means a lot to me. I am also a hog hunter, and possibly a deer hunter someday soon, so the .30-30 will have plenty of good factory hunting loads for those animals.

But, it will mostly be a range/fun gun. I'll be shooting for groups at the local indoor 25 yard range, but this will be a field plinker for me as well, popping steel plates out to the 200 yard range of the .30-30.

I am looking for any and all input on these Pedersoli made Rolling Blocks, or Rolling Blocks in general, before I buy. I've also been having trouble finding one of these for sale. I can find plenty of the .45-70 ones out there, but no .30-30 ones. Has this model been discontinued? I may have to email Pedersoli and ask if they know where to get one if it's still offered.

If anyone can chime in and give me some advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much all!

M12

Pedersoli makes good stuff. Handsome rifle. I like single shot rifles and I do have one Rolling Block. Nothing wrong with the 30-30 for most shooting. You should look into getting set up to reload.

Guess what my Rolling block is...

standard.jpg

Very nice! Looks great. I am interested in .30-30 because the rounds are fairly inexpensive online. Much cheaper than .45-70. Right now... Reloading is just not in my front view mirror.

Okay... so I'm torn between a Rolling Block .30-30 and a Sharps in .45-70.

Like I said, it will be an occasional pig gitter, but mostly for destroying paper targets in an informal matter, as well as the destroying of the milk jugs and punkins' aka "plinking".

I will be using a Lee loader whack a mole setup to reload the cartridges, so cost isn't a concern.

What I need to know is... with a proper load and proper sights, can the .30-30 reach out to 300 yards? What about 400? I know the .45-70 can reach out to 1000 yards and over, but everyone says the .30-30 is only good to a max of 200 yards. No bueno.

Thoughts?

fwiw recoil is stout in any lightweight 45 70 gun. 38 55 not at all. google e. arthur brown for another 30 30 single shot choice. bob

Don't get the Lee 'Whack-a-mole' kit to start reloading. It will just frustrate you. You're better off getting the cheapest Lee press. Even that will hobble you in a short time. Short answer is buy the best you can affford, even if it means waiting. I bought a CoAx as my first press as a paperboy, and I've never regretted it.

^^^^^

IMHO, a hand tool is false economy; there is no way to upgrade and going to a faster or better tool involves tossing the old one. I suggest a decent bench tool which has the power to full length resize and at least the capability to add a primer feed and other attachments.

As to the rolling block, they are fun, and stronger than the trapdoors. But if you plan to buy one in .45-70, you will definitely want to stick to reduced loads. Those little carbines are light and a .45-70 Infantry load will really take the fun out of shooting pretty quickly.

Jim

No one ever factors in the cost of the bench or the room to put it in or their labor or the risk to the shooter and the gun.

If you want to get into reloading, start going to yard sales. Lots of used reloading equipment shows up at bargain prices.

if you can afford a pedroseli you can afford a lee loading system ,well worth the effects with hand load ammo, do not think you will make friends with a 30-30 at an indoor range,,,

Back