30-30 Ack Imp (again!)

Unkel Gilbey

Fellah's!

A short while ago I'd posted a query about taking a 30-30 single shot and having it rechambered in 30-30 Ackley Improved. I received a few answers and suggestions about this. This has led to another question along the same vein, and I believe that it would probably be best answered by someone who's done the job before.

The question is this: If I were to want to have the Bbl on my M94 Win. rechambered to Ack Imp, would I be able to get away with just sending the Bbl that had been taken off the weapon, or would I have to ship the complete weapon (through the local Gunshop) to whomever was doing the job?

My gut feeling is that the complete weapon would have to be sent - due to a few reasons - the most important being liability. But I have to wonder...

Thanks in advance for the info

Unkel Gilbey

Unkel, it's possible to rechamber with the barrel only but most smiths, myself included, would require you to send the complete rifle. You can measure the protrusion of a headspace gage in the old chamber and make sure that the new chamber matches it. That should be safe but it's best to have the rifle to check after it has been assembled. George

If you live in the US you can legally ship your rifle, via UPS, to a gunsmith for repair. Unless you live in a state that has an ordinance prohibiting this.

Don't do it. The 94 can be stretched with the pressure you can get in a standard case. If you want to wild cat get a good bolt action and have a ball. More 94s that the owner reloads have stretched side walls on the action than don't. It is a very weak action!That was the bread and butter job setting back barrels and rechambering after the owner tried to get a few more FPS than the book allowed

Back