30 06

cptjack

anyone load the 200 gr eldx in 06. being a long bullet over 1.5 " long will compensate for Remington long throat. any ideas or experience appreciated going to use 4831sc

The first question is, "Will it stabilize from your barrel?".

My second thought is while you may have a long freebore, Remington isn't known for their generous magazine length.

The 1-10" twist should stabilize your 200gr bullet just fine. Shot 1,000 yard F Class for years with the .30-06 and the 190gr SMK. RL22 is THE powder for heavy bullets in the '06.

Don

"My second thought is while you may have a long freebore, Remington isn't known for their generous magazine length."

I have three Remington M700s, two in 30-06 and one in .35 Whelen. The magazines in all three are long enough to accept the .375 H&H cartridge. I don't think magazine length will be a problem.
Paul B.

I believe my brother is using that bullet, not sure if he has done moose but he has farm shot something like 3 bison with it.

4831 is a standard powder for that cartridge and bullet weight .

Plenty of stability.

I've shot 30-06 for more than 56 years and can't remember the last time I loaded a 200+ grainer. I now only reload 165 grainers and use Varget. Varget can be used with the heavy bullets and still keep pressures below 50,000 psi.

Maximum SAAMI pressure for the 30-06 is 60,000 psi, 50,000 cup.

Older copper units of pressure often incorrectly used psi instead of cup.

Last edited:
I've only used the 165gr bullets in my '06 also.

I did try the ELDX in other calibers.
Accuracy wise they were ok. But nothing to make me switch from Sierra, Nosler, or Berger.

Performance on game was a mixed bag.
150gr ELDX from a 7mm Rem Mag on white tailed deer.
10 yard frontal shot clipped the front shoulder on the inside. Found the bullet in the liver.
70 yard broadside shot broke 2 ribs going in. Almost fist sized exit hole through the ribs on the other side. No other bones hit.
Both deer dead. But seemed inconsistant performance.

I'll stick with the Nosler Ballistic Tips.

The 200 grain ELDx is a loooong bullet for 30-06. If you are hunting and don't want to add too much extra length, a 200 grain Sierra Game King would eat up some of that free bore and do it with a shorter COAL. Trouble would be to find them, lol

Type gets smaller when you do that, too. He wants to shrink before posting so it doesn't fill the screen and folks can keep their type visible. 1024 pixels is about the maximum width you can be pretty sure won't overflow most people's screens these days. Use 640 pixels if you are really trying to be careful not to.

PM sent.

Back