.30-06 vs. 7mm Mag.

RadRy

Inactive
Am just about ready to make my first firearm purchase, and basically have it narrowed down to two rifles that I found.

They are both used rifles:

1)Savage 110 .30-06 approximately 6 months old. fired 10-30 times???? Walnut stock has two very small scratches, comes with a Simmons (power???) scope ( Looks decent.) I can get this rifle for around $275 after tax.

2)Savage 111? 7mm Magnum approximately 2-5 years old. Walnut Stock with average wear and scratches. Comes with a pretty nice Bushnell scope (power???), Savage Sling and I believe a Savage soft case. I can get this for probably about $165 after tax.

For all the experts out there, What do you guys think. Probably will purchase one next week.

Please respond.

Thanks
RadRy

I'm no expert, but I'll be happy to share my thoughts.

The cartridges are pretty much the same as far as effects on game. No big difference there. The .30-06 is a bit easier to find in local stores, the 7 mm is a bit more expensive to buy.

Neither scope is particularly good. Try the scope, but be prepared to buy a Leupold. Your far better off with a good scope and a so-so rifle than the reverse. With a little shopping you can find a good Vari-x II for about $225.

You may need a better trigger. There are three roads here. Try to adjust it yourself, get a gunsmith to do it or order an aftermarket trigger.

The price difference leads me to recommend the 7mm.

Hope this helps,

Giz

------------------
"I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff" - Mark Manning

Don't know if you received my e-mail yesterday as it was messing up on me. I'd go for the 7mm. Take the difference and put it into a scope and a trigger, as Gizmo said. As long as the barrel and action are good I wouldn't worry about the furniture unless it's pressing the metal in the wrong areas. You can always get different furniture (wood, laminate or synthetic).

As far as the two calibers are concerned, neither one will significantly outdo the other, despite what some gunwriters say about the wonder MAGNUMS! The 7mm will give you about 1" less hold over at 400 yards IIRC.

For the price, I'd take the 7mm, also you need to get a Leupold, as Gizmo said.

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself."
-- Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia_, 1785

Back