.30-06 Springfield to .338 Win Mag?

FTG-05

I have a .30-06 Springfield Rifle, S/N +1.8M, with what feels like a real loose bore. By that I mean when I run a patch through the bore, it is much looser than my other .30's (Win. M-70 in .308 and AR-10 in .308. It is also not very accurate even with a 20x scope on it.

What I would like to know is, can it be chambered to .338 Win. Mag? Would I have to rebarrel it or can the original barrel be used? I would prefer to keep all the original hardware since its a family rifle that my Dad gave me.

I also would like to know a reliable and competent gunsmith who could do the work that lives somewhere near North Alabama so I can drive and talk to the guy.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Albin

why not 8mm Mauser? it would be closer than a mag conversion
why not replace your barrel?their around, I think Gun Parts
Corp. has them. big jump to .338 mag, maybe George can do it???

I'm not entirely certain, but I don't think that the bolt face on the Springfield military rifle will accommodate the larger head on the .338 Mag.

The reason the Enfield can do it is because that rifle was originally designed for the rimmed .303 British round, which gives a lot of extra room to play with on the bolt face.

My suggestion would be either rebarrel it to .30-06 or to .35 Whelen, which is simply a .30-06 shell necked up to .35 caliber.

I would have a gunsmith slug the bore to see if it is shot out. If it is I don't think chambering it to .338mag is an option, the rim is much bigger .532 compared to .473
If the barrel is in the .310 to .312 area you could handload some British .303(.311), or Russian 7.62(.310)bullets. The problem I see with that is someone might put the loads in a normal 30-06 bore(.308) and have a KB. Getting a new barrel is a much better option and it should not cost too much.
It is $79.99 for a barrel blank at http://www.midwayusa.com

Albin, I think your only choices are to either rebarrel the rifle or have it rebored if you want to keep the original barrel. Opening the bolt face to accept the magnum rim isn't a big problem. Since Dick Nickel passed away recently the only person I know of that is doing reboring now is Cliff LaBounty. I don't have any contact info on him but you can get that from Brownells. You can contact their tech support through their web site at http://www.brownells.com. George

First of all, I assume that the rifle is already a sporter and not an all original military rifle. If it is a military rifle, all the non original work and money you put into it will result in a rifle that is worth less on the market than the one you started with, no matter how well you you make it shoot with all the work and money.
If you want to convert the rifle to 338 Win. Mag., you have to have the whole action reworked. Not only does the bolt face need to be "openned up", but the whole rail and feeding system needs to be reworked so that it will reliably feed the new much fatter cartridge. This requires the work of a riflesmith that is truely experienced or it will not work out well for you. The magazine will no doubt only hold 3 rounds after you do this. Getting any more would probably require new bottom metal and maybe a deeper stock.
Very few people ever convert Spingfields to Magnum calibers, so their may be other problems that few of us can anticipate. I doubt if there are a lot of riflesmiths with much practical experience in this field.
It is a much easier job to convert the rifle to any of the 30/06 based cartridges: 25/06, 270 Win, 280 Rm., 30/06 or 35 Whalen. These are all just the original 30/06 case necked up or down to a different bullet caliber and are the most logical and suitable rounds for which to rebarrel a Springfield.

I forgot to mention: yes, it has been sporterized when my Dad got it over 20 years ago.

I want to keep as much of the original only because it was my Dad's gun. I also want something that will be accurate and right now its now, because, I believe, due to "oversize' bore. Another reason for the conversion is for a good elk cartridge, in case I ever go elk hunting. .338 Mag sounded like a good cartridge, but not with problems brought up here.

.35 Whelen sounds better, I 'll start with that if I ever take up the project.

Thanks for the help!

Albin

I checked in the Haas book on bolt action guns and he states that the Springfield can go all the way to .375 H&H.

George, another question: How can I check my original assumption: that the .30-06 bore is "loose" or oversize?

Thanks,

Albin

Albin, the easiest way to to slug the bore. Plug the bore with a couple of patches about 2 inches from the muzzle. Heat the muzzle area until it's just too hot to touch and pour full of molten PURE lead. Once it's cooled insert a drill rod and drive it out. Then measure the plug. The outer diameter should measure .308" to .310" while the grooves in the slug should measure .300". George

George,

Another thought on your idea:

What about using that stuff from Brownell's called "Cerrosafe" (or something like that)?

Also, I only need to do the last 2", right?

Thanks for your help: I don't know where else I would go for this stuff!

Albin

cerrosafe

Albin,
cerrosafe is the industery standard for chamber casting and determining the size of the bore. It melts at a much lower temp. than lead. do warm up the Bbl also.

If I were you, spending the money nessary for your conversion, I would buy a new Bbl, and have it threaded and chambered for your action. While you are at it, there are a few other things to concider; feeding modifacations, lap,and true the bolt lugs, open bolt face, true the front ring of the recvr. and installing suitable sights. The action you have is a good one and could be a spetacular rifle!

Back