30-06 or 300 Win Mag?

Erik

I'm looking at these two rounds- which do you prefer and why? I'm in the rockies, and this will be in a rifle used for elk and mule deer. I know I'll be well suited with either, and will some day no doubt have both, but for now I'm experienceing the "which one" debate in my head I'm sure you are all familiar with. ;)

Thanks,

Erik

Either is plenty, but the .300 Winchester is a better for long ranges. I have never been in that country, but I understand there is often an opportunity for a long range shot (500 yards or more), and for that the .300 would be better.

Jim

I should note that I am not one for excessively long shots. If I cannot get closer, then there must be a major obstacle. That being the case, I don't want to have to pack it out- darn elk are on the heavy side. :)

Erik

Erik; I'm new to rifles and hunting but I did alot of research before I bought a savage 30-06. Ammo-besides 30-30 It's the least expensive if that's a concern. Versitle-varmit weights all the way up to 220 grain bullets. I just got some redone military stuff for $6.99 a box, fun plinkin' ammo. With the new magnum stuff on the market the 30-06 equals 300 mag performance anyway. If your not going to need the extra distance I'd go with 30-06. Good Luck, j.s.

I hunt in the rockies and have been very happy with with my 30-06. In my opinion the reason you would want a .300 WM is for the increased range and planned on takeing longer shots. Even so I think anyone who takes a 500 yard shot at an elk with either caliber is crazy. That is a really long shot for field conditions and I think I would only try it if I was trying to stop a wounded animal.
You can also by magnum ammo for a 30-06 which is close to factory .300 WM performance if you decide to go hunting somewhere where you might want to take a long shot. If you hand load you can get the .300 WM to do quite a bit better however. If money is important the 30-06 rifles are usually cheaper and the ammo is also. Another thing to consider, I usually do quite a bit hiking when I am hunting and there are quite a few good lightweight hunting rifles offered in 30-06. I haven't seen as many in .300 WM. All in all I think you will be happy with either one. They are both fine calibers. Good Luck with whatever you decide!

ive got both and they are set up exactly the same.same scope same action same trigger same shooting sling.the guy who suggested you get the 3006 and do a lot of practicing makes alot of sence.get a copy of the art of the rifle by jeff cooper and learn how to get into these positions and use the sling.
gunsite training acadamy has a great class called general rifle that would be a great warm up for your trip.yes the 300 win mag would be my choice for the hunt but i practice snap shooting and long range sling shooting alot with my 3006 so i can build up a tolarance to the recoil then and only then do i get out the big 300.bullet selection is even more important than caliber.choose a premium bullet for the hunt.they include fail safe nosler partition,trophy bonded bearclaw,and even the cheaper core loke would do if your not willing to pay the premium price.be sure to take 3 boxes of the stuff you sight your rifle in with.

There are several threads on this issue in the archives. Gale McMillan gave an interesting discussion on the merits of the 300 magnums. I have used both for many years and I find myself using the .300 magnums almost exclusively. I have hunted in Wyoming all my life and I think the .300 mags have advantages at all distances. They are not just for long range shooting. That said, if you don't enjoy shooting the magnums, stick with the 30-06.

Erik. I guess I am a one load per rifle type of guy. I have a tendancy to make up what I call "working loads" for my rifles. I'll plat around with other loads, but when I hunt, I use the "working load". For .308, it is with a 165 gr. bullet, the 30-06, a 180 gr. bullet and in .300 Win. Mag. a 200 gr. bullet. A form of the K.I.S.S.principle.
I don't like shooting past 200 yard, unless it is to stop a wounded animal. So, for most purposes, the 30-06 would be my choice. One, it kicks less, and generally can weigh less than the .300's, although mine weighs only 7.5 pounds, scope sling and full magazine. Most are heavire though. Another is ammo. If you should run out while on a boondocks hunting trip, I'll wager you'll have a better chance of finding ammo for the "06" than the magnum.
I'll admit that when I go hunting, I'll be packing some exotic round, like a wildcat .375 Mag. or my .35 Whelan, but my backup rifle is always a 30-06. You can take that to the bank.
Paul B.

Eric:

I have them both also. I grew up with the 06 out east. Use a 270 almost all the time. The 300 (or now a 338 loaded with 180 gr NBT) goes along as a second gun a lot.

I must agree with several others in this post that shooting beyond 350 yards should be done at the range only.(MHO) Not at game other that perhaps varmits.

That said, why a heavy gun, which is what you will have with the 300 unless you get something built or really worked on. Don't get me wrong, its a great round but as has been said we have ammo today in 30-06 that is almost as bad.....

The stuff I shoot in my 270 for elk is available over the counter and shoots a 140 gr. like a "Haint". Do I shoot it every time I shoot the 270's..NO. Too damn expensive but when I am shooting at game...you betcha.

What Gunmart said about practice is what also matters. I damn near shoot for a living. With my class we will be shooting something 3-4 days a week. Practice ...Practice...Practice, 30-06 or 300.

Hutschool
"single shot shooters only shoot once"

I own both and choose the .300 hands down.I handload and have a great load(in my opinion)that I use on all the game that I hunt.I like the 06 but have had an elk get up and run after being hit in the brisket-never had that happen with the .300 Winny.I shoot alot and as others have said before thats the key.I don't mind the recoil of the .300,as a matter of fact I kinda like it.Sick huh?heh,heh.I use a 165grn Nosler Part.bullet for all of my hunting and have taken deer,elk,mountain goat,big horn sheep and bear with the same load.All I can say is that it works for me although I'm building a .338 mountain rifle-should be interesting to see how it works out.Sportsnut out.

Back