30-06 group question

wjarrell

My gun is a Ruger M77 MarkII 30-06 and my gun likes Barnes TTSX 168 grn. The pictures are from the range at 100 yards using a lead sled. The first picture, first and third shot are together, and second shot is low. in the second picture the first and third shot are low and the second shot is high. Each shoot were about 4 minutes apart and 15 minutes between groups. So my question is, if I float the barrel do you guys think it bring that second shot in with the other two?

For what you are trying to figure out,a three shot group does not tell you anything.

You might try a series of cold barrel 1 shot groups..as in ones shot at each of 5 bulls.Repeat maybe 4 times,or 20 shots.

And you might want to try 5 or 7 or 10 rd groups.You may see a flier,or you may just see a big group.

You might start with checking all your scope screws ,then doing a re-torque job on your guard screws.The front,recoil lug guard screw is the one that is the "master"Tighten in stages,front screw snug,tang screw snug,front screw 20 in lbs or so,tang next,up to the 60 in pounds or whatever is recommended.

You can try removing the bbl'd action,coating it with something like shoe polish,sight black,candle soot,prussian blue,etc and re-assembling it to see pressure points.

You can try shimming with business card under the flat surfaces of the receiver,that will lift the bbl up from the channel a bit.

You can try a forend shim at the front of the forend.

I suggest you figure out what is causing the problem before you try a solution.

Statistically thinking, I think both groups are close enough to the same size that nothing much is wrong with anything; either the rifle, ammo or youi.

As it's been mentioned, shoot more shots in a group.

Meanwhile, free floating a barrel (it touches nothing but the receiver) typically is best for accuracy. As long as the receiver's a good fit to the stock, that is. Well fit in synthetic or wood stocks, about 1/2 MOA at a hundred yards is often normal with a lot of commercial rifles using good ammo shot by good marksmen.

Floating might make the groups smaller, but I don't think it will solve the real problem, which seems to be something is moving when it shouldn't.

Still though, bedding the action and floating the barrel may help.
If that doesn't stop the alternating POI, then start checking for loose mounts

If it were just the barrel alone, it's more likely it would be "stringing" rather than alternating the POI

One other possibility.....

Vertical shot stringing happens when a hand-held rifle's butt plate is not put back in the shoulder at the same vertical position. Too low, and the rifle shoots high; too high and bullets go low.

The further the butt plate center is below the bore axis, the more this issue happens.

Though I have spoken in favor of 3 shot groups being enough in certain situations, if I found myself in the situation of the OP, 3 shots is nowhere near enough to learn anything from.

Yes.

Anytime the butt plate's put against ones shoulder and the human body absorbs some of the recoil, the recoil force and direction relative to human bone and muscle arrangement will end up making the muzzle axis point to different places when the bullet exits.

With most sporting rifles, it will change impact 1 to 2 MOA depending on the details. The more recoil the rifle and ammo has, the more shot impact will change with butt plate position on the shoulder.

Back