3" XD Mod 2 9mm VS XDS Mod 2 9MM

Mastrogiacomo

Can anyone explain? I've been all over the homepage for SA and I'm just not finding anything. What is the difference between these two models? Capacity, weight? Both 9mm, both subcompacts, 3" - what makes them different?

The XD Mod 2 is a double stack 13+1 that can also accept the 16 round full size mags. The XDs is a single stack that is 7+1 or 9+1 with the extended magazine. There's basically a weight, thickness, and capacity difference.

I've had both, and both are excellent. I really liked the XD Mod.2 subcompact. I kinda wish I hadn't sold it.

For comparison, the XD subcompact is kinda like a Glock 26, whereas the XD-S is more like a Glock 43 or S&W Shield.

Of course, now the Hellcat is the capacity of the XD with the size of the XD-S.

Can anyone explain? I've been all over the homepage for SA and I'm just not finding anything. What is the difference between these two models? Capacity, weight? Both 9mm, both subcompacts, 3" - what makes them different?

Internally they're quite different.

XDS is single stack. Capacity 7 to 9 rounds, depending which magazine you use. Internally it works more like a Glock with a partially tensioned striker.

XD is double stack. Capacity is (I think) 13-15 rounds if you're looking at the "subcompact". Single action trigger.

XD Mod 2 sub-compact either comes with a standard 13 round magazine and 16 round magazine, or with the non free state version, it comes with the 10 round mag that's the same size as the 13rounder and another bigger 10 round mag that's still the size of the 16 rounder. Pay attention to which version you purchase, so you don't do like I did and end up with 10 round mags.

Last edited:
Internally they're quite different.

XDS is single stack. Capacity 7 to 9 rounds, depending which magazine you use. Internally it works more like a Glock with a partially tensioned striker.

XD is double stack. Capacity is (I think) 13-15 rounds if you're looking at the "subcompact". Single action trigger.
I didn't know this about the difference in striker mechanisms....I have an XD9 Service, XDM 9 Compact and an XDs.....this might explain why the trigger on the XDs is not very good compared to the other two which have quite good triggers for strikers.

There is quite a bit of uneven take-up or creep as some would say in the XDs. Quite different than the Service and XDM

I didn't know this about the difference in striker mechanisms....I have an XD9 Service, XDM 9 Compact and an XDs.....this might explain why the trigger on the XDs is not very good compared to the other two which have quite good triggers for strikers.

There is quite a bit of uneven take-up or creep as some would say in the XDs. Quite different than the Service and XDM

How many rounds through the XDS? How much dry firing? In mine (I have 2), the trigger smoothed up nicely with use.

to the other two which have quite good triggers for strikers.

I have 2 XD-s, a service size and a subcompact. I see people complain about the XD trigger. When slowly dry firing, I can feel each step. Trigger safety, clack, pushing the striker block, dropping the sear. When actually shooting, I perceive one crisp click. So, I tend to take complaints about triggers with a grain of salt.

How many rounds through the XDS? How much dry firing? In mine (I have 2), the trigger smoothed up nicely with use.

I have 2 XD-s, a service size and a subcompact. I see people complain about the XD trigger. When slowly dry firing, I can feel each step. Trigger safety, clack, pushing the striker block, dropping the sear. When actually shooting, I perceive one crisp click. So, I tend to take complaints about triggers with a grain of salt.
"Quite good triggers for strikers", does that sound like complaining?....the two XD pistols (Service and M Compact) have over a thousand assorted JHP and FMJ each. The XDS has only about 500. Don't shoot it much. I have other pistols and revolvers that I shoot, not just XDs.

It should be "quite good triggers for strikers" compared to what. That would be the two 1911 SA pistols I also shoot quite often. The triggers on the 1911s are in a league way above that of the striker pistols I own.

That said, I CC the Xdm 3.8 Compact more than any other mainly because I shoot it well enough and I trust it's reliability more than any 1911.

I have a XD 4" service model that was my first handgun. I purchased it about a decade ago. I also have a Mod 2 "3 SC... I don't see anything wrong with the trigger at all. They're just as good as Glock and M&P triggers IMHO.

I assume people who complain about triggers on striker fired guns would have a heart attack and wouldn't be able to shoot worth a darn with DAO revolvers or the like... Most polymer striker fired pistols have great triggers that any competent shoot can shoot very well.

It should be "quite good triggers for strikers" compared to what. That would be the two 1911 SA pistols I also shoot quite often. The triggers on the 1911s are in a league way above that of the striker pistols I own.

As you know a 1911 trigger should not be the benchmark of an acceptable trigger. Not only are they "in a league way above" striker fired pistols they are generally accepted as in a league above the majority of pistols.

I've never had any complaints about the XD triggers. The trigger on pretty much any striker gun is perfectly fine for its intended use, which is not competition target shooting. No, XD is not crisp like the PPQ or VP9 triggers, but as was said above, that matters when you have the time to deliberately feel every stage of the pull.

I'd be confident carrying anything in the XD line and hope to try the Hellcat one of these days.

I do wish they offered the full size slide on the subcompact frame though.

Great posts...The XD doesn't seem to get much respect. The ones I have go bang every time the trigger is squeezed, and I mean all the time.

They have quite acceptable accuracy for their purpose and are simple to take down for cleaning and inspection. They seem to be over-built, at least for the 9mm cartridge

Back