3" vs. 4" for CCW...How much harder is the 4" to carry?

Danno

A 3" barrel on a medium frame would make a perfect CCW in my opinion.But what about a 4"? There seems to be a lot of 4" police trade-ins [-$200!] but I haven't seen any with 3" barrels.Is the 4" much harder to conceal/carry? What type of holster works best? My current carry is a 2" Taurus but I feel the need to "up grade" to something bigger.

I reckon you're carrying a .38spl. and the "upgrades" would be .38 as well.
Frankly, you've plenty gun for self defense (remember, this goal isn't to kill your assailant...it's to slow him (them) down to get away. But you do shoot to kill (odds are, you won't kill anyone...but that's how you aim).
As far as the 4" barrel, it depends how you dress. If you wear a sports jacket all the time, try a shoulder rig. I haven't found an IWB holster that comfortably carrys a gun that long. A high ride OWB might work. Again, how do you normally dress?

I like 3" M66, 65, 13.
It may seem silly , but I think the 1" difference makes the 3" easier; not as easy as a 2" with a hip grip. YMMV

I carry a 4" k-frame .38 revolver. I use a vert. shoulder rig for cold weather (when I need to button up the coat). Most other times, I use a Bianchi IWB. It works very well, although, after more than a few hours (like five hours or so), it does get a bit uncomfortable on my skinny frame! 5'8", a whopping 140 lbs.

Occasionally, I use a Galco silhouette (sp?) high ride, and that works very well if I wear something long and loose to cover it.

prob I have is belt sag....and I haven't gotten around to getting a real "gun" belt to elimante the problem.

I like, and prefer the 3" barrel length. The 4" guns, for me, tend to get pushed up when I sit down, and the 3" ones do not. Also the 3" guns usually have full length ejector rods while the 2.5" or 2" guns don't.

View

9x19 expressed my thoughts very well.

I prefer to shoot 4" guns, but to carry 3" guns. With an IWB, that extra inch makes a big difference for me in comfort (or should I say, uncomfort). With a pancake holster and a 4" gun, you need a pretty long covering garment to keep the bottom of the holster from peeking out beneath the bottom.

As for availability, keep looking -- the three-inch guns are out there. Three-inch police trade-in S&W 13, 65 and Ruger Speed Six (actually just under 3") are out there. And don't forget that there are 3-inch J-frame Smiths (like the discontinued 940 and the 60) that are still easy to carry, yet nicer to shoot, than their 2-inch brethren.

Thanks to all for the input!

My main reasons for wanting to "upgrade" are:

+P's seem to really mess-up my accuracy[more practice needed?]

.357 models add to the versatility of the gun.[Although I' probably carry +P's...maybe not so important.]

Ability to handle +P's without accelerating wear on the gun.

6 instead of 5...one more round is still ONE MORE ROUND!

An option that I have considered is to check-out the non- +P rounds...Nyclads or...? [help!] and to carry a mini NAA revolver for an "instant reload" if things REALLY get bad.
Any thoughts?!...

A lot depends on your body size and weight and just how/where you carry the gun. I find that comparing a 2 inch, a 3 inch, and a 5 inch for my use I actually prefer the 5 inch. The extra barrel length seems to hold the gun in place a lot better. The 2 inch is almost impossible IWB behind the hip as it keeps wanting to roll out and print. The three inch is a bit better but still not great. (for reference, the 2 inch is a K frame, the 3 inch an L, and the 5 inch an N).

For reference, I carry IWB behind the right hip (just barely behind it) stand 6 foot tall and (unfortunately) weigh in at 275.

but where do you guys get holsters for the 3" gun? I have a 3" 686+ that I have been trying to fit for leather. Seems it was not meant to be.

3" barrel for CCW

Definitely I prefer the 3" barrel for CCW. The J-frame Model 60 S&W 3" barrel revolver was my preference for CCW until I started carrying a SIG P239 pistol.

My wife has inherited my S&W Model 60 which is a limited edition DA ONLY without hammer spur and equipted with Hogue rubber grips from the S&W factory. These guns were made in 2 lots of 2,000 each back in 1989(?) and are the best CCW revolver in my opinion.

However, a S&W Model 65 - 3" with the rounded grip frame would also be great. But, keep in mind that "MORE BIGGER IS NOT MORE BETTER" in CCW use.

Holsters for 3" barrels revolvers? Forget Bianchi and others that only sell cataloged holsters. Many other brand name companies will produce holsters for 3" revolvers on request. Don Hume can provide a decent IWB leather holster for a 3" revolver.

In my opinion the 3" barrel revolver has all the advantages of a 2" barrel revolver but none of the disadvantages. If there was ever a perfect compromise, the 3" barrel revolver is it.

Difference in Presentation

The ease of carry of a 3" and 4" is about the same in my opinion. However, shorter guns clear leather faster and come to line of sight quicker. This tendency is important in short range confrontations. Here is where a 3" bbl really becomes necessary.

I think I've been had. :o

As for holsters, I agree, don't bother with cataloged holsters. Look to custom/semi-custom makers like Kramer, Milt Sparks, F.I.S.T., etc. for your needs. For example, I have a Sparks Summer Special for a 3-inch K-frame that I am quite fond of.

I sometimes CCW a pre-sellout Smith & Wesson model 629 Classic .44 Magnum, with a 5" barrel. I'm kind'a short
and stocky; but it's easy to conceal. It wouldn't make
for a comfortable warm weather CCW though.

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Back