3" S&W Model 64

V.A. Cop

The local shop just got a new 3" stainless model 64 in. The interesting thing is it is a round butt with checkered wood grips and hammer mounted firing pin. I asked the salesman about this as Smith has not produced the hammer mounted firing pin and wood grip models for years now. The salesman said they ordered it from a distributor that had a few still in stock that had not been sold. I have dealt with this salesman in the past and he is a good guy and would not steer me wrong. The price is $409 and it should be a pre-sellout, so what do you guys think? Should I get it?:confused:

If it fits the bill for what you want, I would jump on it! Pre-sellout means more than a political vote now. It means not having Safe-t-Hammer's zit on the side of your gun for child safety if you don't need it there. Having the hammer mounted firing pin also means style. A style that will never come back once it is gone.

OUCH! The PRICE

Me thinks that's a wee bit too much to pay, pre-treason, or not.:eek: I have seen the .357 M65s for less. But, if you've got a good relationship with this shop, and you feel it would put you ahead in the long-run, it's your money.:D

V A Cop....

I agree that the price is high, but the M64 is a good gun. I have a 2" and to me it seems almost heavy enough to handle magnum loads.

I guess it comes down to whether you can afford that much. I live in S&W's backyard and have found quite a few nice specimens of pre-sellout revolvers for very reasonable prices. But I am afraid I would probably have to pass at that price.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

For that kind of dough you should be able to get a used 3" M-65 in .357 mag, or get really lucky and find a 3" M-66. The last 3" 66 that I saw was at the Richmond Showplace gun show last winter and was marked 399. I passed because I hold out hope of getting one without any paperwork.

My 3" M-64 has "Tampa PD" stamped on the left sideplate and a factory spurless hammer, and round butt with rubber grips, and set me back $199 at a gun show about 4 years ago. This particular gun is a great shooter but is a lot of weight to lug around for a .38 Spl. I carry a 3" 65 that weighs probable exactely the same but packs a much, much bigger punch.

Greentop Sporting Goods in Ashland, VA can get you a current production 3" M-66 with the internal hammer for 499 plus tax.

Shoot often and shoot safely

Jay

3" mdl 66

I believe RSR wholesale has 3" mdl 66s' in stock. Believe that these are a special run that smith makes for them as they have been selling them for a while. These have the std sites and not the hi-vize.

Well it is a wonderful gun, but for that kind of money you could probably track down a 3" 65 which would give you the option of shooting .357mag. I would look for a 64 police trade in. KY Imports has them for the low $200s on their website.

BUT, as i say it is a wonderful gun and rock solid and feels good in the hand and if you want it, go for it.

M66-2

Eric the Ammo Man has a 4" S&W M66-2 (looks in good shape) for sale on his webpage

http://www.ammoman.com

for $330. I have a M66 with recessed chambers which shoots and handles like a dream. The one he has for sale could be worth a hard look.

Back