#3 Ruger

PAHOGHUNTER

Tonight at a gun shop I saw a #3 RUGER in 45-70, for $350.00, after I got home I went to one of the auction sites, and saw a #3 in 45-70 listed as pre-warning, does anyone know what they mean by pre-warning and warning of what? is there a serial number range? thanks BOB

Ruger has for some time had roll markings on their guns to the effect that you should read the instructions. A pre-warning gun is one made before they started and has only company and caliber. I don't know the serial number range. Look at the gun.

that is possibly the hardest kicking 45-70 ever made. with anything but the mildest of loads it will hurt

Warning rollmarks started about 1975. The Ruger 77 I bought in 1976 has the Bicentennial rollmark and the warnings. Other Bicentennial rifles I have seen have the bicentennial rollmark but no warning. So about 1975.

The Ruger #3 in 45-70 is a wicked weapon. At 5 1/2 lbs, the hard plastic buttplate beat you up pretty bad with factory loads. If you were to put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it, it might not hurt so much. Probably best to just show it to whatever you want to kill and say "don't make me use this".:D

5 1/2 lbs?

5 1/2 lbs sounds light, I had 2 of them in 22 Hornet they came in at around 7 1/2, that was using a postal scale

That is a good price for the #3. Just remember the 458 bore 45-70 has more then four times the steel removed as the 224 bore of the Hornet. Barrel contours externally are the same. My 45-70 #3 weighs 6#3oz. with the Pachmayr recoil pad and is an excellent little stand/still hunting rig. Handier then the M94 winchester for packing. My 1975 vintage has no warning and had an aluminum butt plate. Some fit the #1 stock and alter the opening lever to help in the recoil department.

Back