3 round burst/AR-15

Are you asking if its possible to convert the ar-15 to 3 round burst?

ANswer: NO-- firearms laws prevent normal people from making machine guns

Are you asking if it COULD be done: then the answer is yes. The ar15 is only a hair different from the weapons the military uses (m16/m4), and i believe (if my info is correct) that they generally are 3 round burst, although this is not always the case.

Don't try the conversion. If you want 3 round burst without joining the military, take out a (HUUUUUUGE) loan, and go
here
and
here

or find your local class 3 dealer.

whats wrong with the conversion?
Nothing at all!
You are a Class 2 Manufacturer licensed by the Federal government to build and sell NFA restricted weapons (except destructive devices), right?

If not, the only thing wrong with the conversion is a felony record, 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine. If you're lucky, that is.

Isnt the M16-A2 equipped with a 3round burst mechanism? I believe it is most certainly mechanically possible to do. It CAN be done legally (buying a registered m16, being a licensed manufacturer etc) but, its a hassle. Actually converting an AR-15 (semi auto) is gonna be quite sticky though from a legal if not mechanical standpoint.

Not to mention, the method used in the M16 to get a 3-round burst sucks. It's a ratchet that winds up giving you a different trigger pull for each shot. If you release the trigger after 2 rounds fired, your next "burst" is exactly one round.

Go with full-auto and learn trigger control to fire bursts.

Converting an AR-15 to 3-round burst involves the following:

First, get a Class II license.

Second, mill the section of the lower out that projects a little (on the right side)

Third, locate and drill a hole for the auto-sear.

Fourth, replace the trigger, selector, hammer, sear, and sear spring with the appropriate parts, ratchets, cogs, gears, doohickies, and other delicate crap you'll need. You can get them from Bushmaster or any other AR-15 manufacturer with your tax stamp.

Finally, install the auto sear and M16 bolt carrier. You're ready to rock, roll, and complain like nearly everybody else who uses the neutered 3-round burst mechanism.

If you REALLY want a 3-round burst, the HK and Ruger mechanisms are much better. I prefer a full-auto mechanism and some fire discipline.

...I prefer a full-auto mechanism and some fire discipline.

Exactly ! With the selector on FA , I don't find it difficult to fire even single shots . 3 rd is pretty easy . Also , if you need 10 , it's available . :)

Not to mention that with the 3 round burst, if you're firing single shots, each successive pull of the trigger is positively HORRIBLE. Full auto, 3-5 round bursts is good enough.

For all the information you need about building full auto and conversions, go here first:

www.atf.gov

Back