3 Point Rifle Slings...

MajorDanger

Inactive
Thats what I use for my semi's. It's just what I've found to be most comfortable/functionally maneuverable. Anybody else use these? Likes? Dislikes?

I used to use a 3-point sling on my ARs until someone showed me how to properly use a two-point sling. Now I'll never go back. 3-point slings are far more cumbersome and awkward than two-point slings, and are far less versatile.

There's a reason why you don't see any of the major trainers advocating them, and why companies like Magpul and V-Tac don't make them.

When you say proper usage of a 2 point sling, what do you mean?
I know there are a few ways you can utilize one, and they're the most popular style of sling in the world, but the way you said it makes me think there's something that I'm missing about them!
I have nothing against them at all. In fact, the only reason I like the 3 pointers is because it's more secure than a single point (to me anyway) and i can always just use it as a two point sling.

MajorDanger said:
When you say proper usage of a 2 point sling, what do you mean?
I mean proper attachment to the rifle and then using it correctly. Too many people attach their slings too close to the bottom of the rifle instead of near the top, and then it hangs oddly. And as far as using it correctly, here's a video of Kyle Lamb demonstrating how to use the VTac sling, and this applies to many other two-point slings as well.

And with a receiver endplate attachment point you can even switch on the fly to a one-point if you want, at least with a sling like the Magpul or the VTac. Also, with a good two-point like the ones I just mentioned it's easy to adjust it on the fly with just one hand. A three-point isn't nearly as versatile as a two-point and it's more cumbersome to use and harder to adjust.

3 point slings are among the best carry straps you can attach to an M16.

That being said, they aren't much of a shooting aid.

If your job involves more talking, directing, and carrying a rifle, a three point sling is a good option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WERZt5Fbhfs

Tactics trainers don't give classes on how to stand around making nice with the locals, or how to get in and out of an M1151 in full kit very often....

Jimro

Jimro said:
Tactics trainers don't give classes on how to stand around making nice with the locals, or how to get in and out of an M1151 in full kit very often...
Fair enough, but I was referring to civilian usage of the sling. For most civilians, a two-point is a better option.

I agree, a good two point sling is a better option for shooting.

A 3 point sling is a better carrying strap.

Of course some organizations refuse any sort of carrying aid on weapons that aren't crew served (I know that is the policy of both Ranger school and SFAS) so there's that.

Jimro

Back