3" Model 657

• Thread starter Thread starter M58
  • Start date Start date
M

M58

Finally found a used one and ordered it; cannot wait to get my hands on it; no patience in my genes.:)
Per phone conversation it is the Lew Horton run of .41 mags with 3" barrel, rosewood finger groove grips and flat satin finish. This will round out my .41 collection at last.
Wow.
Don't let Tamara hear about this.......

657 3 inch

I have carried a 3 inch 657 since 1986. This gun may or may not be designed to take a consistant beating of FULL CHARGE loads. Be careful.

Hi G33,

I've carried mine since 1995 and had it worked over by Ron Powers and had it Magnaported. It currently wears Pachmayr Decelerator grips with finger grooves.

Even took it to LFI in 1999 and actually ran into someone else who brought theirs too!!! I shot a 275 out of 300 on the qualification.

Per Smith & Wesson the run was only 2000 units of this model.

I have been shooting mine steadily with all sorts of Magnum loads with no ill effects. Several people who shoot a lot of .41 Magnum through their Smith & Wesson's (old and new ones) have found that the .41 models do not suffer from the excelerated wear problems that have been reported with the older .44 Magnum models. A little extra steel in the right places goes a long way.

Evan Marshall recounts two shootings with this exact model which totalled three BGs...all shot with Winchester 175-grain Silvertips. All were one shot stops, collapsed immediately, and were shot at very close range. One went to the mourge while the other two were gut shots. The latter two both lived after a looooong recovery, but had their intestines trashed by the Silvertips. They both now rely on colostomy bags. Don't mess with the .41 Magnum!!!

- Anthony

M-57 3 inch question for G33 or anybody

I just got a line (maybe)on one of these. Are they still being produced, or was it only that 1986 run? What does one NIB go for? How 'bout slightly used?

As far as I know, it was a one time Lew Horton run. My problem was I love .41 mag, but was not going to buy new...S&W. So it took a year or so to find one used for $400. I saw a number of .45 LC during that time.

Called today; the 3" is in; have to wait until am to pick up; why are they not open at 1 am?:)

I'm missing a three inch 657 from my collection. :( Missed these three inch models when Lew Horton reproduced them a couple of years ago.

Have a 2 5/8" gun and a four inch that is being built by my gun smith now.

pc657_med.jpg

Robert

Anthony

Been looking for a four inch 657 for a while now and could not find one. While at a gun show, I found the barrel. Now having a gun smith replace the barrel on one of my six inch guns (I have no shortage of these), cut material from the underlug, install a partridge sight, radius and polish the hammer and very fine bead blast. The gun already has a trigger that is to die for. I'm making the grips from an exotic wood that I've got sitting in my garage. It is going to be a screamer when finished.

Robert

Patridge, as in E. E. Patridge, Robert. ;)

Didn't get enough sleep, and I'm just groggy enough to get a picture in my mind's eye of a miniature hungarian partridge about an inch high manacled to the barrel where the front sight should be, flapping it's wings and struggling furiously to get out of there before the hammer drops and the muzzle blast blows all it's feathers off. :D

Speaking of .41 for self defense, I used to know a Homicide detective. Compton (Kalif.) P.D., who carried a 6" Mdl. 57. He and his partner (Colt .45 ACP), got into a very bad situation where he shot two bad guys who were shooting at him and his partner. One bad guy dead on the ground, the other died two days later in the hospital. The ammo he carried was the Rem. 210 gr JHP. Worked for him.

J.B.

:):):):):):):):)
Picked it up!
25ft. 6 rounds in one hole.
Cleaned it up it looks almost like new.
Happiness...at last a 3" .41....:)

Rusty S

At 10:35am eastern, it's 7:35am here in the Pac NW. Didn't have my morning dose of Cuban coffee yet. For those not familiar with Cuban coffee, picture a pot of coffee condensed down to about a cup. Diesel fuel! It contains all the essential vitamins and minerals, critical for a morning wake up. :D

Robert

Diesel fuel! ...

Hmmmph...you mean nitromethane, don't you? :cool:

Good luck on that 657/3" revolver...one pretty sumbitch!

Put the Spegel boot grips on the 3" today and shot it for the second time. Groups still touching out to 30" I think it will carry easier with the boot grips and wanted to see how it handles. I promise, kind of, that I will quiet down now.:)

Back