3 gun question

russian hammer

How many guys are actually running a .45 in 3 gun matches? Always wondered that... Wouldn't know if I could do it, but I sure do see alot of guys able to handle that caliber a heck of alot better than I do:o

3 gun

Are you referring to Bullseye Conventional pistol where a 2700 point match is often referred to as a 3 gun match (.22rf, CF, .45)?
Many competitors, maybe even most of them, shoot the .45 in the CF stage as well as in the .45 stage.
I do.

In "practical" 3-gun, or multi-gun competition, I suspect the number of .45s will depend on whether the rules give an advantage to capacity, or not. USPSA's Heavy Metal division specifies a bullet of at least .44 caliber, and mag capacity of no more than eight, so you'll probably see nothing but .45s, there. In the other divisions, everyone is shooting the pistols that they use in those same divisions for pistol-only competition. I shoot Limited 10 with a single stack .45, so when I shot Multi-gun Nationals, I used the same gun in Limited division, as I thought it was important to use the gun, and strategies with which I was familiar.

Yes, 45s are mostly used in the heavy metal class. A high capacity .40S&W is probably most suitable as the lowest class is standard (no optics) and the 40 shoots major power factor. Tactical is a good class, you are allowed one optic, most people put it on their rifle.

Heavy metal is 45 pistol, pump shotgun, 7.62 or bigger rifle.

Cheers

I shot my .45 1911 at the 2003 Rocky Mountain 3-Gun Nationals, and then got an SV in .40, which I shot for a year or two until I got my SV in 9mm, which is really the hot setup for non-USPSA 3-Gun.

-z

I shoot a Para P14.45 in 3-gun, 16-17 rounds with the Dawson mag extensions, USPSA or not. But in non-USPSA matches, 9mm is the way to go, greater capacity and adequate power for the job.

I reload my 45 ammo, so I can adjust power of my loads to suit the match.

Lee

I use a custom Para P-14 with the dawson basepad extensions that will give me 16 to 17 rounds per mag. I am at a disadvantage against all the guys with the higher capacity and softer recoiling 9mm's and 38 supers but I still enjoy the .45. I would be interested in a 9mm mainly for the money I would save on ammo but the higher round capacity would also be nice.

im curious about some of these comps. that are being talked about... I'm new to pistols but i do have a Glock 45 and an xd-40. what else would i need to get started in some thing like a 3 gun comp?

Back