3-gun Question (newb)

Mat not doormat

I'm an experienced SASS shooter, but I'm looking for an opportunity to play with some other guns that I've got. What I'm curious about is the rifle element of 3-gun. It seems that most people I see in pics and vids are using either black guns, or the occasional AK. I don't have either one of those, and was contemplating using an M1 Carbine. There are 30-rd mags available for it, and it's light and handy. Is there any reason that such a critter wouldn't work?

~~~Mat

It'll make the minimum power factor (bullet weight in grains times the velocity in feet per second, then divided by 1000, has to equal at least 150), but I don't know if it would have the range/flat trajectory required. Many three-gun rifle stages require you to transition between near and far targets on the run, so unless you know EXACTLY how your rifle is going to print in relation to the sights at all ranges, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. That being said, give it a go and enjoy yourself; if you do well, next year, EVERYONE will be shooting M1s, instead of ARs.

Ok. Thanks. I guess I need to figure a good middle of the road zero, then I can evaluate it from there. How long a shot is one likely to see with much frequency?

now about that hammered double shotgun... j/k

~~~Mat

Matt- I also do cowboy action and 3-gun. They are actually quite similar. Our local matches here don't really have any long range rifle shots. The longest is about 75 yards. It is mostly CQB stuff. We have several guys that shoot their m1 carbines. They do just fine, but honestly, the m1 carbines aren't as fast as the ar type rifles. That being said, you can still be somewhat competitive at the close range stuff, and still have a lot of fun. If that is what you have, I would suggest you try it and see. Just like the cowboy stuff, the more matches you shoot, the more you'll know what you really want as far as different guns and equipment. As for the hammered double barreled shotgun, you know that it is NOT competitive. ( ha ha ) Although, we have had a few guys show up at the 3-gun matches with their cowboy guns. They have to use at least 4 to 5 pistols and a couple rifles on each stage. They have fun, but don't score very well. Good luck.

As far as the hammered double goes, i was just kidding. I was actually trying to decide between my '97 and a long mag mossberg I picked up a while ago. The mossy holds 2 more rounds to start, but I can stuff the '97 better.

~~~Mat

I've shot 3-gun matches with M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, and AR. The Garand, while great fun, is totally inappropriate. Way too many stages require two or three, six-second reloads, with me being the only one doing even one reload. The Carbine can be a great piece for 3-gun. I've shot more matches with mine than the other two guns, including the USPSA Nationals, last Summer, and as long as the shots are on the shortish side, say, no more than 150 yards, the Carbine is great. If there are any sort of "house clearing" or other up-close stuff, it's the best. But, when you have 12" targets, to be engaged at well over 300 yards, and your gun is capable of shooting only a 9" group at that range, well, you see the problem. Even if your zero is perfect, hits are more than a bit iffy, and the zero is never perfect, with a four-position elevation adjustment. And, I have had a bit of trouble finding reliable 30-round mags. At one time, I had maybe ten 30-rounders, but only three work all the time.

Back