3 days left.. We have a problem...

Rob Pincus

Here in Tennessee we have a (hopefully) unique problem. What if one candidate is anti-gun, but the other one Shoots and kills him and is now in jail. The dead guys wife is now a write in candidate. Who do you vote for?

(this is really the case in one of our state legislature races)

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 10-31-98).]

Ed, that was really just a joke. The guy did it. He disappeared for about a week afterwards then he was caught and charged with murder. The woman has already won with record setting early voting. Their district has ALREADY had over 50% registered voters vote early, from what I have heard. She is also recieving write-in votes from neighboring districts she isn't event elibible for, because of the publicity.
To me, she is the symbol of the uneducated Sheople. They are voting for a complete unknown. She could be the next Sarah Brady for all we know. I think the election board should step in and declare an emergency, set up a special election for next spring and allow someone from the incumbent's staff to serve in his place. (the incumbant was the one killed)

We have a similiar problem in CA. Sheriff Sherman Block, late of LASO, passed away last week before he could be reelected. His widow is urging everybody to vote for Sherman anyway since the opposition, a retired LASO Deputy Chief (?), is considered unsuitable by Block supporters.

Rob; You make a good point about voting for qualified candidates as opposed to voting on emotions.

Colin Powell is a good example.He could be president today if he had wanted it. He truly could have been elected mostly on emotion.

Good general-dont know what kind of president he would make.

Is the jailed individual still a candidate? Would it be "legal" (ironic, since any anti-gun legislation is illegal)?

He already holds one position in a small city govt. I guess he could be elected, I don't think he has actually been indicted yet. Once he is indicted I would assume that he would have to step-down.

Technically, he won't have to step down unless convicted. But, then again, we have seen how the Constitution is adhered to.

Back