3.5" Supermag barrel on 870 Wingmaster V receiver

KnightofCydonia

Hi,

I have a 1967 Wingmaster that's a V receiver, or 2 3/4" only. I only plan to shoot 2 3/4" in it, but the barrel that came with it is a 30" fixed full choke. I want to buy an Express barrel and a local one for sale is 3.5" supermagnum. I know the older wingmaster barrels are thinner in overall contour, will there be any fitment issues with a modern Express barrel being inserted into a vintage wingmaster receiver? I have an O-ring to secure the barrel nut. I've heard that the thicker Express contour barrels can cause rubbing against the fore-end wood as well.

Nope. An 870 is an 870.
Put a rifle sighted slug barrel on my early 80's vintage Wingmaster(they weren't always the higher end Remington) with no fuss. The slug barrel weighs a whole bunch more and is a whole bunch thicker than the 30", Full choke, bird barrel it came with. No rings of any kind required either.

Slight

I know that there might be a difference in the securing barrel lug. The older ones has a small BB that would settle into some dimples of the magazine tube or nut/cap. The newer barrels mag lugs do not have that BB. They do sell a conversion kit. Also, your barrel should say something like 3-1/2" only suitable for the mag receiver. Other than that, I am not aware of any fit differences. By the way, I have seen quite a number of older model barrels for sale and very reasonable. …. :)

Be Safe !!!

Nope. An 870 is an 870.

Not so, there are lots of differences.

An 870 Special field has a shorter mag tube and barrels will not interchange with anything else. The Supermags have larger ejection ports to work with longer shells. They made "Light Contour" barrels for a few years, standard barrels will not fit until you sand a bit of wood off the forend. Older guns had a ball detent system to hold the magazine cap in place, newer guns use a different system and an O ring or other modification needs to be made for barrels to interchange.

A 3-1/2" barrel will fit and work, but the ejector in your gun will likely limit you to 2-3/4" shells to function properly.
An O ring will work quite well to secure the magazine cap.
Last I checked they still have Light Contour 870 barrels. They are BLUED. An Express SuperMag barrel will be a lot heavier than a standard.
I have not seen any barrel channel issues on an 870 because of barrel weight. 1100s and/or 11-87s yes, but not on 870s.

Back