3.5" Mag 12 Ga. Dinosaur Loads

DaMan

I've seen the 18 pellet 00 Buck load for the the 3.5" (the closest thing to the 40mm "canister" loads that I've seen). Do they also make slugs in this shell????!

Actually, I thought these canister loads for the M-79 were kind of "Pussy Loads" because they were only a 20 pellet "steel" loads using .33" balls. Very mild recoil in the old M-79!

Regards! DaMan

Ooooooooo...the giggle factor with those would be entirely too much to resist...as long as the shoulder stays in-socket.

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

Sounds like, pardon the expression, overkill to me. Considering the effectiveness of a standard,9 pellet round,the question is,"What will this do the standard one won't?". The only answer I came up with was, run through my money faster,build a flinch quicker, and strain my shotgun more.

And i didn't think the M-79 was that hard a kicker with any load.

Dave, agree with you on this. I think the 3.5" is a marketing ploy, not a performace ploy.

One of my relatives who live out in the boonies did some patterning with his 3.5' and they were worse than the 3" and much worse than the 2.75". IMO, and I sure could be wrong, I believe the 3.5" shells utilize less of the forcing cone and therefore have a more irregular and turbulent shot pattern.

I have no desire for a 3.5" gun.

CMOS

------------------
NRA? Good. Now join the GOA!

CMOS's Site

CMOS is right on the money, as usual. The 3.5" 12 gauge was developed in a latent attempt to compete with the 3.5" 10 gauge, which became popular with waterfowlers due to the advent of steel shot back in the 80's. Although pattern testing with lead, steel and other non-toxics have shown really crappy patterns, the 3.5" is still marketed as a chambering that is superior in effectiveness to 2.75" and 3" loadings.

Totally unnecessary, in my opinion.

Bud

I was just wondering, if they've come out with some kind of monster slug for the 3.5" 12ga. A 1.25 oz. Foster or Brenneke type slug travelling at say 1,700 fps maybe?

If not, I'll just have to make do with with my 3" 12 ga. magnums. ;-)

Regards! DaMan

Amen, CMOS. Considering the harvest of millions of game critters with dinky li'l 2 3/4" loads,the 3.5 shell seems like the answer to a question nobody asked, or maybe the question was" How can we sell another shotgun and mo ammo to folks with plenty of both?"....

Back when I was patterning turkey loads, one of the best in repeated tests was a 2 3/4", 1 1/4 oz of #5s. Beat the 2 oz loads out big time for density at POA.

*LAUGHS*

Oh, I absolutely agree. Utter overkill. But, like I said originally, there IS the giggle factor.

Mwahahahahahahahaha!

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

Mike, if it winds your clock, go for it. Kinda like Son having fun with my GM with full house loads at the tender age of 9 or so. He just liked the kick and roar. Now, nigh on to 14, he prefers more precise stuff like cutting one hole groups with a 22.

Or a gunsmith buddy that liked to hunt Md whitetails with a 375 H&H, or the same guy with his Greener 10 ga alley sweeper.

Come on you guys! Does anyone make a 3.5" 12 ga. slug? Or are the 3" slugs the biggest bruisers in this gauge?

TIA and regards! DaMan

Yeah! Inquiring minds want to know. I mean, really, my house could be attacked by a herd of rhinos on crack. I might NEED that kind of power!

Seriously? That stuff would be a riot at the range...but not much use anyplace else. But I would buy some. Belay that: I'd buy a bunch. :D

Mike

Loudenboomers forever! ;)

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaMan:
Come on you guys! Does anyone make a 3.5" 12 ga. slug? Or are the 3" slugs the biggest bruisers in this gauge?

TIA and regards! DaMan
[/quote]

There are 3 1/2 in 10ga 1 3/4oz Slugs.. Those things are powerful!

------------------
Dead [Black Ops]

Dead, I don't have a 10 bore. So I'm going to have to stick with my 12 ga. Brenneke 3" magnums (#211 5492). They throw a 1 3/8 oz. slug at 1502 fps. This still ain't too shabby!

The search to find the best "dangerous game" slug goes on ......!

Regards! DaMan

Hey, I just thought of yet another use for this powerful tactical load. Ever see Evil Dead II or Army of Darkness? ;) :D

"Good, Bad- I'm the guy with the gun"
-Ash

Mike :D

------------------

It appears that the 3" Brenneke 1 3/8 oz. slug may carry the most energy of any commercially available slug. The 10 ga.
1 3/4 oz. slug in the Fed 3 1/2" load is the biggest (and heaviest) slug available.

The 3" Rottweil Brenneke is the slug with which I would feel most "comfortable", were I facing a grizzly with a 12 ga...... or a Cape Buff!

Regards! DaMan

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited October 17, 2000).]

Back