2nd Generation GLOCK mags?

pete80

Has GLOCK produced a 2nd generation 10 round mag for their pistols? I know the ones that I and many other shooters have seem difficult to load to full capacity. I heard that the newer mags allow you to load 10 rounds with no problem. Can anyone confirm this and if so, where might I find these things?

Thank God, its not just me...I have about six-ten round magazines and I can never seem to load that last round into it! The tenth round just sticks up at an odd angle and won't feed...Yes I've tried loading it to full capacity and "breaking" in the spring, nothing seems to work. Tired of my "nine-round" Glock, especially since it was made for 13+1...

No justice I tell ya ;)

Actually, I've had a bit of a problem with the 10-round Glock 19 mags. I think mine are fairly new, so I can't tell if they are 1st or 2nd generation (if there is such an animal).

My 15-round mags function 100%, but for some bizzarre reason, my 10-round mags choke every so often (slide locks back with one or more rounds left in the mag).

Anyone else have this kind of a problem?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Try swapping the followers on your Billy mafs for preban ones. I've had no trouble with Billy mags in Glocks I've handled. It's tough getting the 10th round in at first but later they loosen up. If you intend to buy Glock mags and such check out midwayusa.com, they've got excellent prices and don't charge for shipping. Glockmeister is an excellent source as well but when you factor in shipping it's more expensive.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Skorzeny,

Have to wade in a confirm Tecolote's statement about current 10 rnd. Glock mags. The 10 rounders that came with my new 19 a couple months back fed any ball ammo and narrow-mouthed HP with ease. Hydro-Shocks, however(which aren't even that wide), gave a consistent failure to go up the ramp. Same with Starfire El Dorados, Cor Bons, etc. Asked around and got a lot of shrugs.

Went over to Glockmeister.com and asked about my problem (follow the 'Ask the Smith' link). Got an almost immediate reply from them telling me it was the followers. Advised me to switch them out for some #3 followers and the problem would go away. I happened to have some older 10 rounders for my 17. Pulled the followers and inserted them in the 19 mags - guess what? The problem went away.

If you look at the follower from your new 10 rnd mag next to the one in your older 15 rnd one, you will notice that the new follower is markedly flat. Glockmeister has pictures of the various generations of Glock mags on their site for you to familiarize yourself with. Hope this helps. It was sure a load of frustration off my mind when I finally got this worked out.

Best,
- Drew

Jawper:

I'll try that then.

I am curious. Why did Glock change the follower from the pre-ban to post-ban?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Skorzeny,

That's a really good question! I've been wondering the same thing. Whatever the reason for the change originally (manufacturing cost, perceived function improvement, etc.), you'd think that they would realize the problem and change back post haste. One story about the infamously "Perfect" Glock jamming in a life and death encounter would be a PR nightmare! Everywhere I've been around here (Tidewater VA area) has had the flat-follower mags on their shelves. I think it's rather odd that this not more widespread of an issue. The people at all these stores looked shocked when I tell them my tale.

If anyone around here has more insight on this, I'd be very interested to hear from the.

------------------
Best,
- Jawper

Back