2a1 wood?

adrians

hi ,, i have a ishy 2a1 and the stock set is not too great ,it has some internal cracks and a cracked handguard.
i want to replace it with a nos lithgow and keep the original for the future wall hanger it will become(no timeline:)). my question is ,,,
how much stockwork /inletting is involved?.
i also read somewhere that the buttstock is a different configuiration ,can it be done by a semi:confused: intelligent guy with a few chisels, a dremel and some small files ect,ect,ect,? .
i have finished a few mausers and i'm happy with the results but this is my first brit,, or indian.
have a good one :D.
the nos stock set should be at my door on wednesday,, i hope..

Your Lithgow set should bolt right on. The butt stocks are shaped differently, but at the butt socket they are identical; No modifications required. You will need a standard SMLE butt plate w/screws for your Lithgow replacement.

If you really want to "improve" the looks, get a standard pattern nose cap to replace the squared off Ishapore one.

gyvel thanks ,
so a differant butt plate and mk1--111 nose cap and i should be "good to go",
they shouldn't be so hard to find ,, maybe look at springfield sporters/ numrich/ect,ect,.
anywhere else i should consider looking at?.
thanks again and have a great day.:):D:)

Yep. If you want to use your Lithgow No. 1 Mk III butt, you'll just need a buttplate w/screws that fits it. (Assuming that you don't get one wtih your new set.)

As far as the nose cap is concerned, that's just a cosmetic issue. I just think the original British style nose caps look more "refined" than the squared off Ishapore ones.

Last edited:
;)i agree gyvel i looked at the issued one this morning and i'm all for the more "streamlined look" , i hadn't really paid attention to the nose cap until you mention it and it would look better with the rounded nose cap ( as everything else in the nose area is rounded ).
i'll look around and see if i can locate one ,as you said it just cosmetic but ithink it will look great .
the search continues,,,, ahhhhhhhgggggg!

Springfieldsporters.com has all the parts for enfields i bought a entire set of wood from drill rifles in india for 70 bucks. They have nose caps and various small parts as well

Back