29 vs 629

Little-e

I'm thinking about adding another .44 to the collection and since Smith is one that hasn't sold us out (YET), I'd like one of them. I'll be using if for:
defense- Nope (hope not anyway)
hunting- Maybe some
targets- Yup. Alot of that. Mostly 25 to 100 yards.

I don't want to put a scope on it and I'm wondering if the 629 is worth the extra money over the 29. Comments?

[This message has been edited by Little-e (edited January 04, 2000).]

Little, I have a 629 and love it. Very accurate right out of the box.Easy to maintain. I had to change to a smooth grip though the Diamond checkered was cutting up my hand from the recoil. I'd go for it

Happy Shooting.........

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

I have a 29-3 and a 629, both are great guns. If you can find a 29 in good shape, I say "go for it" !

------------------
-Essayons

I own a 629 Classic with a 5" bbl. Its been my constant companion for years when I hike, hunt, or camp. If you're going to use the weapon for hunting, or if it'll be exposed to adverse weather conditions, I'd get the 629. Also, the 629 wont show holster wear over time. Either one, though, are wonderful weapons and should serve you well.

------------------
"To die as a warrior means to have crossed swords and either won or lost without any consideration for winning or loosing. There is just not enough time and generally not enough strength in the resolve of any man to do otherwise"-Miyamoto Musashi

I've had a 6" 29 in Bright Nickle for 20 years (not my usual choice, but that's what they had, and I had to have a 29 that day, but like the finish anyway) . It's one of the most accurate guns I have with just about any kind of ammo. When I take non-shooters with me the the range and they shoot it, (milder handloads) they invariably shoot it better than any other gun I let them try.
The 29 is a classic and that's what I'd go for.

Back