.284 Win opinions wanted

Ric

Local shop has a great looking Winchester complete with fair scope (3x9 Simmons) for under $250. Other that the fact it's a 7mm with a rebated rim I know nothing about the .284 Win. I've been looking for something in the .270 class, would this do it ?

------------------
-ric

It's close enough as makes no nevermind. Its advantage is that it uses the short action, as I recall, which makes for a lighter gun...

If you get into handloading, you have more bullet choices in .284 than in .277.

FWIW, Art

Thanks.

The .284 Win would be a handloading proposition - I don't see much in the way of factory stuff for this cartridge. Expanded bullet choice is a good point.

I have one in an Winchester Model 100 Semi-Auto. I haven't shot it in several years. The rifle was never very accurate, but the last time I shot it, I wasn't a very good shot either, so it's possible it wasn't totally the gun. Factory ammo is hard to find, and when you do, it's around $20-$25 a box. Recoil is on par with the .270.

Rik - if it's a CRF M70 (not sure what they call'em - Classic I think) it's worth it for the action.

A good friend has a .284 and he can get .280 velocity with no trouble. It is as accurate as any other cartridge.

It is a handload only proposition at this time. Check on brass supply - seems that most of the big guys are cutting the .284 out of production.

Giz

Back