280 AI or .270

Kimber84

Well in years past I thought I was doing myself a favor by purchasing commonly chambered calibers (30 cal, .22 cal). However with this stupid craze going on I've found myself with 2 rifles that are poised to go with me on a western hunt this fall and I have no ammo for them.

This has caused me to begin researching some other calibers ( that and its been 2 weeks since I bought a rifle). I'm becoming increasingly interested in the .270 and 280 AI. I've read that the .280 will effectively mimic the ballistics of much larger magnum calibers while using less powder and having less felt recoil.

My main question is, with the opportunity to purchase either caliber what would be the best option? I'm a hand loader so the Ackley doesn't scare me as far as loading/brass etc.

Just curious to get others opinions that have had one or they other. The platform I'll get either of them in will be a light weight mountain rifle for back packing.

TIA

I think it comes down to personal preference because both will get the job done. I prefer the .280/.280AI because from a hand loading perspective you have more options as far as bullets are concerned. I don't think there is anything about either caliber that screams pick the .270 instead of the .280AI or vice versa.

There's nothing wrong with either one of them, and either of them will do the job if you do yours. Put the bullet where it counts, and the animal will probably fall over. The difference in the calibers is negligible.

I own a 280 so I'm biased, I would pick the 280AI hands down.
I could've bought a 270, shot 3 different rifles in 270 did not care for them, after shooting my 280 I knew immediately I made the right choice.
Besides having a better bullet selection, I believe you can get more performance from the 280/280AI with good handloads.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

280 All The Way

If you take a peek a the Nosler 6 or later, they have both. I picked the 280 because I already had a 7RM. With a 140NPT under 55gr or 57 gr of RL-19, it chrony'd 3027 and 3150, respectively, from 26". The AI does that from 24".

Whatever you decide, be sure to get a 24" tube.

Either cartridge will do right by you but I am surprised you left out the standard .280 Rem. Looking on the practical side, of the three rounds, the .270 will be the easiest to find ammo for should you lose your ammo. You might get lucky finding .280 ammo which can fe fired int hr AI versio with a loss in velocity but I haven't seen any .80 ammo at my local Wallyworld. Not ever. :(
Now with that said, when I decided to biuld me as nice a custom rifle and my lowly bank account could allow, I went with the .280 Rem. Should I decide to upgrade to the AI version, my gunsmith has the reamer. I do hope you know there are two versions of the .280AI, don't you? There is the .280AL A-Square and the .280AI Nosler version and they ain't the same. AFAIK, both have been SAAMI approved but I could be wrong.
Several cartridges are not loaded to their full potention for various reasons. Original guns too weak, (7x57, 30-06) Loaded for pump or semi-atuos. (.280 Rem., .35 Whelen) Just a few examples.
Currently, I'm doing load work ups(weather permitting) for my .280 Rem. with 160 gr. Speer Grand Slams to see just what it can do. Lately it's been too hot, meetings with a lawyer getting my will squared away, doctor's appointments damn near every day and getting ready for cataract surgery one my left eye. After that there will still be the right eye to do so I'm looking ito at least mid to late August at best before I can get going on the project. I still don't even know if I got a deer tag yet and as hard as they are to draw am not holding my breath. I do have an elk hunt scheduled for the first part of next January so I have to make up loads for that hunt as well. At least I don't have to do work up, just make the loads. One thing I do agree on though; go for a 24" barrel. All my custom and semi-customs have 24" barrels but two have 23" barrels. Thought I'd try something different. All my ..300 magnums have 26" barrel.My factory .270s have 24" barrel except the Ruger #1A which has a 22" barrel.
Paul B.

Don't think you're going to get magnum performance in a smaller package with the .280 AI. If you take a look at Noslers load data every time the .280 beats the 7mm Rem Mag it is using a larger powder charge. Plus the 7mm RM properly hand loaded will stomp all over the .280 AI.

I like the .270 and have sold off all of my 7mm rifles and I've tried quite a few.

Thanks for all the feedback... Just to clarify I did not mean to make it sound as though a .280 is equivalent to any magnum. I simply meant I've read many reviews stating the capability of the round with comparisons of its performance to that of much larger rounds.

I'll research a lot more before I pull the trigger on anything though.

Thanks

I have never built a .280 ackley, but I have built 7 or 8 other Ackley improved rounds. In my opinion, the .375 H&H A.I. was the only one that had a performance gain that actually justified the hassle. For all practical purposes, its just a .375 WBY.

my redo.

I got a great .270 win. I would buy a .280 Rem if I did not have a great rifle.
The differences are just too small to bother changing now.
However, I would get the .280 if I had known it existed.
The "you can't find ammo" arguement seems weak, but I guess it could happen.

Here lately the "you cant find ammo argument" could apply to any cartridge.:D In all honesty, .338 Lapua is easier to find than .243 Win. .300 Savage is easier to find than .30-30.

Id say take a peek at the .264 lineup (6.5mm) as well. It may be on the smaller end of your spectrum but dont underestimate velocity + modern bullets.

I got a great .270 win. I would buy a .280 Rem if I did not have a great rifle.
The differences are just too small to bother changing now.
However, I would get the .280 if I had known it existed.
The "you can't find ammo" arguement seems weak, but I guess it could happen.

The problem is the amount of time and money I've invested tweaking hand loads. Only to now have Hornady suspending production on the component bullets I use.! I haven't seen, nor can I find the bullets I need anywhere. However, there are .270 & .280 components to be had everywhere.

I'm even having trouble getting components for one of my .243's. just Looking to expand my options.

Kimber, now is a wonderful time to transition to Berger, Since you are going to have to do load development all over again. If you are hunting anything shy or large dangerous game, I guarantee Berger will cure your Hornaday addiction.:)
If you are long range target shooting, Berger definitely has that covered.

Last edited:
I know I only posted before on your comment about matching ballistics of larger magnums but I was on my phone and not a computer where it is easier to type. So I only commented on the .280 AI.

I don't think you were wrong at all to streamline to .224 and .308 calibers. It sucks that Hornady is suspending production of the 105 gran A-Max but I was able to pick up 500 105 grain Custom Competition from Nosler for $17 per 100! My biggest suggestion is to not be afraid to try new bullets. I don't think adding a .270 or .280 will improve your options for finding components. The biggest shortage around here has always been primers and powder, I could always find a bullet that I could make work in my rifles locally or online.

I know I only posted before on your comment about matching ballistics of larger magnums but I was on my phone and not a computer where it is easier to type. So I only commented on the .280 AI.

I don't think you were wrong at all to streamline to .224 and .308 calibers. It sucks that Hornady is suspending production of the 105 gran A-Max but I was able to pick up 500 105 grain Custom Competition from Nosler for $17 per 100! My biggest suggestion is to not be afraid to try new bullets. I don't think adding a .270 or .280 will improve your options for finding components. The biggest shortage around here has always been primers and powder, I could always find a bullet that I could make work in my rifles locally or online.

I'm almost about ready to switch bullets, the problem just seems to be that you find a box here or there... Really not any large quantities of anything that you can rely on being available months down the road.

I'm the type that likes to develop a load, and once I'm happy with it load up a bunch and run myself through practice at ranges out to 450 yards. My problem is, if I'm not 100% confident in my setup then I'm just not happy. I guess it's a combination of OCD and being an engineer :)...

Our LGS has probably one of the largest reloading selections in the state, and its still pretty hit and miss. The .270 & .280 caught my attention based on their bullet options and availability along with the ballistics I dug up...

Plus, who doesn't enjoy a different caliber :)

No game animal will ever notice the difference. A 270 will shoot 130's @ 3100 fps and 150's near 3000. With good bullets this is the ultimate in hair splitting. Buy a 280 oe even 280 ai if you want to be different. The 270 or 3006 might be boring but work as well as any other

Back