28 gauge for Trap?

goob

Inactive
Hello folks,

I'm new to the forum and new to clay sports, but recently got invited to shoot w/ a local team on league nights. I've been having a great time using a buddies 12 gauge since my only shotgun is a Ruger Red Label 28ga. My question is this: how much harder will it be for me to get the same scores I'm getting w/ this smaller gun? I feel I have a slight advantage w/ it, since it's the only shotgun I've shot on a regular basis. The folks at the club look at me like I'm crazy when I mention the idea...am I crazy? Thanks...

Well, the 28 ga. is perfectly adequate for Skeet, but...not so good for Trap. The reason is the respective distances at which the targets are broken...12-21 yds. at Skeet, more like 32-45 yds. at Trap...the standard 28 ga. target load with 3/4 oz. of shot just doesn't have enough "oomph" to reliably break Trap targets, even from the 16 yd. line...unless you're Dan Bonillas or Ray Stafford, of course....mikey357

What the ****

Go ahead and use the 28. Put in tight chokes and get good ammo with 7 1/2 shot and go at it. You might be surprised at how effective the 28 is!

You will not win any trapshoots, but if you like to shoot for the fun the little 28 will be a blast. I have seen the 28 break some mean sporting clays targets. The 28 is the most underrated gun out there.

Of course, some of those grumpy diehard ATA trapshooters will complain, but they complain about everything.

Consider asking if you can shoot international style, taking two shots at each target, I often do this with my 28 and have fun. But ask first as you might disturb other shooters on your squad.

Know what can be really embarrasing, having the wife of a well known gun writer shooting a 28 outshoot you on high driven shots at a sporting clays shoot, when you are using a 12 GA. :D

PS, I hope you reload, or that 28 will get verry expensive:)

Geoff Ross

interesting....as usual..

I find it funny that opinions are split. It's the same thing everyone has been telling me. One guy will say it's impossible, the next will say it's great. I guess I'm just one of those people that has to try and see myself, so I'll give it a go and see how bad I embarrass myself..(= Thanks for the replies..I'm only shooting it in a few practice rounds for now, so I guess it's not that big of a deal. When you said tight choke, what specifically did you mean?? Full, Modified?? how tight?? Thanks again...I've only been here a few days, but have really been enjoying this forum.

If the idea is to hit the maximum possible number of birds and thrash the local legends, get a 12 ga.

If the idea is to have fun and become more proficient with the shotgun you have, grab the 28 and do so.

Back