28 ga & #7 shot?

TomADC

I'm sure not good for registered targets but for practice is this okay? Used be be a limit of no shot larger than #6 has that changed?
Have looking at buying a case from a estate sale it's Fiocchi #7 shot but no other info on it, was thinking shot it and reload it.

As the numbers get bigger the shot gets smaller. #7 should be fine, but #8 would be better for clay pigeons in my opinion.

I reload using #9 shot in my 28, I guess what I'm asking is it allowable to shoot #7 shot on most ranges or is it to large? I haven't been out in a hail they closed our range but now have another to shoot at, on my old range no shot allowed larger than #6 is that still true or is 7.5 the max allowable size?
Sorry for the confusion.

The place to ask is at your range, to see if that particular location has enough shotfall acreage for No 7.

NSSA rules limit shot size from 7 1/2 to 9 but for practice No 7 would be ok, IF the field is large enough.
By Journee's Formula, the maximum range of No 7 1/2 is 209 yards, for No 7, 220 yards. NRA recommends 300 yards for a safety margin in case somebody slips in something bigger.

You can find #7 in the US? Cool; otherwise use 7-1/2; preferably 8.5 for things under 30 and 7.5 for everything over 30

They tell me its Fiocchi 28 gage #7 shot, I asked for photos just to make sure.
Is european #7 larger or smaller than US 7.5?

This is what I was sent for a list.

No #8 or #9 in 28 g shot. However,
1 case 500 (20 boxes) Fiocchi #7
1 case 250 (10 boxes) #7.5 mixed brands as follows:
7 Fiocchi
1 B&D
1 Remington
1 Federal

This is what the #7 look like.

Fiocchi-20box-case-no7.JPG

Last edited:
Just a update for grins, they checked the #7 shot from Italy with a magnet and surprise they are steel shot!

Back