.270 win. Whitetail round

Silence214

Inactive
Looking for a little sound advice on a 100yd. .270 win. whitetail round. Specifically bullet types. A Remington rep. suggested the Scirocco 130gr., I think he is trying to sell their most costly round. Anyway I need good info. here.

for 100 yards and closer, i think i'd look to something along the lines of a partition...

there's a lot of velocity still at under 100 yards, and that velocity will cause a lot of bullets to fragment.

for shots 100 yards and beyond, i'd look to something like a hornady interlock, sierra gameking, etc.

as for the scirocco...never tried it for anything, so i couldn't comment on its qualities.

Back when I was loading for a .270, I just used whatever 130-grain bullet was handy. I think I mostly used the Remington Bronze Point, which does tend to expand a whole bunch. However, Bambi mostly just fell over, flop...Otherwise, it would have been a Sierra flat-base.

:), Art

What's wrong with the standard 130 grain Remington Core-Lokt's? I've not shot a deer with a .270, but I've used a bunch in '06 at distances from 9 feet to 150 yards, at all different angles, and never had a problem. One of my hunting buddies used .270 Core-Lokt's at similar distances, and never had a problem, either. I don't see how 100 yard whitetails rate a premium bullet in .270.

Premium (AKA slow expanding bullets) are not needed for small big game like whitetails. The thickness of a deer chest hardly (if at all) exceeds that of a human.

The only deer I have lost were with .243 and 308 Nosler Partitions. If I were hunting griz, elk, moose, another story.

Sierra spitzers, Hornady Spire points, factory REM./WIN. will kill your deer deader than a polecat.

I think the manufacturers of most of these "premium" bullets have a laugh at most of us hunting 130 lb. whitetails. All the way to the bank.

Makes as much sense as carrying hardball in your 9mm for self defense.

Winchester Super X 150 grain is what I plan to use this year. The 150 instead of 130 because there is a lot of brush where I hunt.

WYO, I agree with the Rem. core-lokt. I dont see the need for a "super" bullet for whitetail at these distances. I was reading other posts about core-lokt and some say they are to soft for high velocity-short range. I'm really trying to get a concensus of opinions

The only Core-Lokt I've ever recovered was a 180 gr. PSP .30-06 from my first deer. It was quartering away at about 70-80 yards. The bullet went into the left rear hind quarter, ended up just under the skin of the front right shoulder. Destroyed everthing in it's path. Was a mess to field dress. I can't remember all that it hit because it was 20 years ago, but it had to have caught some bone with that path. It was a perfect mushroom that looked like it came from a cartridge ad except for the flesh on it. I could probably find it somewhere and send you a picture, but you get the point. I only see a need for a premium bullet if you are pushing the envelope in terms of distance and the size of the animal you are going after with a given cartridge. If you want to go after elk with your .270, or want to take 400 yard shots, consider premium. There is no need to worry about short range stuff on a cartridge that is perfect for whitetail. A 130 grain 270 is not going to disintegrate. Buy more ammo with the standard stuff and shoot more!

...but I've used a bunch in '06 at distances from 9 feet to 150 yards, at all different angles, and never had a problem.
Well, there's one problem WYO, you didn't tell the "9 foot shot" story.

Comon, spill the beans, it's gotta be a good story... :D

Simple, yanktrash. Straight down from the treestand. Deer went down like a ton of bricks, never knew what hit him. (Come to think of it, maybe it was only 8 feet. :) ) End of story. In Louisiana, most of my shots were close, usually under 40 yards. Most were from tree stands. I'm trying to adjust to walk and spot in Wyoming, and longer distances, although I did manage to mess up the chance to take a muley last year at 10 paces, almost broadside and directly in front of me. (Didn't take the shot; scope came up on the stomach area. Deer ran away.)

My mentor in Louisiana was so close to one deer (doe, not an either sex day) that he felt compelled to "count coup," so he touched it with his gunbarrel and let it go.

I bet Southla1 can give us a boatload of contact distance stories.

I have had no luck with core-locks out of my .270. Rifle just doesn't like them. My friend shoots them quite well out of his Rem .30-06 (I have a Savage). We have witnessed that his Remington like Remington ammo best, whereas mine likes anything BUT remington. If you are looking at 100yds or thereabout, look at the Winchester Poer-Point Plus. Its a non-jacketed round with a pluginserted in an interesting X-shaped notch. Ought to pretty much instantly open up.

Nannuk

My Thompson Center Encore rifle in .270 was a tackdriver with Winchester 130gr. Moly-coated Power Point +. It also worked great on the deer I took with it. Hit him from about 250 yards right in the boiler room and he staggered about 5 steps before dropping.

We use 130gr Partitions on ELK at 400+ yards out in Arizona ! Hell you could use ANY 130gr bullet under 300 yards in that caliber !
But for reloading inexpensive hunting rounds , I use Hornady flat base 130gr SP Interlocks. We've even killed elk at 300 yds. with these !

any "name" brand .270 expanding bullet that will function in your rifle and you can place in the right spot on the deer (chest) will bring it down.

I don't hunt with a 270 but my father does and he has killed a ton of deer with 150grain remington soft point and federal 150grain round nose soft points all shot were 100yards or closer.100 yards is along shot here.

The Remington 130 grain Core-Lokt has taken quite a few for me. My old Mannlicher rifle loves them, and they have proven deadly on Florida Whitetails.

1-shot-1's got it pegged.

There is absolutely no reason to get excited about anything "premium" when dealing with standard velocity cartridges when dropping 'em in the boiler room.

Any suitable bullet in the right place kills stuff all day long.

Repeat anytime you need confirmation.

I've killed whitetails to no end with standard home-rolled Hornady 87 grainers out of a .243 to well past 350 yards. Pick you shots, please, & if not, go up a weight or caliber.

Sure, if you're doing a quartering shot through the shoulder, you'll likely need a bit heavier bullet, but there's nothing magical about it & no need for anything "premium."

I have gone to the Barnes bullets in a couple of loadings only because of "less than standard" velocities in TC handguns & short-barreled M7s & did want the added penetrative qualities in a premium bullet, but for standard stuff in normal barrel lengths, I believe it a complete waste of dollars.

BTW, Sierra's GameKing line of hunting boat tails are never listed as anything premium.

Using 'em in 130 grs .270 & as our "old stand-by" 180s in '06 for elk.

They work.

Cheap, for about $11-12/100 a box.

"Premium?" Nope.

Doesn't matter.

Heck just the plain old Winchester 130 gr. Power Point or the Remington 130gr. Core Lokt is all you need for Whitetails. I have been using both for years and never had a problem taking deer down with one shot. Anything else is overkill. Save your money for something you really want.
Jim

Back