.270 win vs. .308 win

hoghunter

Inactive
As deer season is coming our way, I have a .270 and a .308 that would suit the job just as equally but the deal breaker is gonna be hogs. So all your great input would be much appreciated.

How's the .308 supply in your neck of the woods?

The last time I checked, the ammo cage at my local Walmart was 1/4 full of .270, so I'd go with that.

If you analize all of the facts the 270 is the better round, but I like a 308 rifle better. With lighter bullets the 270 shoots flatter and will generate less recoil. With heavier 150 gr bullets it will perform on game about like a 165 gr 30-06. In otherwords it will do just fine on game up to elk or moose, it won't have a problem with hogs. With either round bullet choice is the key.

I just like my 308 rifles better. They doesn't shoot quite as flat, not quite as powerful as the 270 or 30-06, but close enough that there isn't an animal on the planet I'd hunt with one of the 3 and not the other.

I've just come to appreciate the lighter more compact rifles that can be designed around the short action rounds. Saving 2-3 lbs on my rifle weight is more important to me than 100 fps.

Both make excellent deer and pig medicine, I doubt the game is going to be able to tell the difference. I think the choice really comes down to which one you want to carry:D

Out to 300 yards, which should be the extreme limit for 99% of people, the difference between bullet construction will be greater than any other criteria.

Both work very very well so it wont matter much. But if you really want to compare. The .270 starts with more muzzle energy, fires bullets at faster velocities (flatter trajectory+ less ETA to target) and the 150 grain bullets in .270 have better sectional densities than 180 grain bullets in .308

.270 also seems to be much more available during panic ammo buying, which may be something to consider. .308 is more popular, but this can be a bad thing now-a-days. If a lot of people have .308's it means a lot of people are going to need ammo for their .308's.

The .270 is a underrated cartridge capable of very long range shots, and proven it's capable of harvesting any type of game, with the right bullet.

A 130 grain in .270 should have no problem taking large hogs. A 150 grain could probably harvest 2 with one shot, if you line them up right.

I'd go with the rifle rather than the caliber.
Which comes up and gets on target better for you?
A target rifle, you have time to settle down and get into, a hunting rifle, not so much.

308 is more versatile no doubt about that. But the 270 shoots flatter. So not wanting to ruin any more bacon than need be. I'd go with the 270 for distance head shots on those medium size porkers myself._:cool:

308 here just because. No real reason other than the 308 is---well it's a 308.
Both are good. 270 as stated will have a flatter trajectory--At 300 yards this is not a issue nor is the extra 100 fps.

308 vs 270

Here in South Africa most of the guys would go for the 308 most consider the 270 to be too fast and too light. That being said it depends on what distance you will be hunting most of your game. Anything under 200 metres go for the 308.

Back