270 Win PowerMax Bonded

reynolds357

Anyone know what Bullet Win used in that ammo, 130 gr?
I have a rifle that shoots them 3/8 moa and the next best I can buy or cook up is 7/8 moa.

Just looking at it, it looks identical to Woodleigh Weldcore. I seriously doubt that is what it is due to cist and differing g1 B.C..

Last edited:
Sounds like Federal's Fusion.
That was one of my first suspects, but the PowerMax is a hollow point.
I am beginning to wonder if Winchester actually made it themselves. They show that they still make the loaded ammo, but I have not seen any available in a couple of years.

This publicity blurb certainly implies they make it or have them made to their specification. It surprises me a bit, as my personal experience with Winchester bullets in the past has been that they lack the precision of other brands. But I don't know who actually makes this one.

Ballistically, I think you'll find the Sierra 130-grain SPT comes closest. It's flat base, like the Winchester (many guns shoot smaller groups with flat base bullets, at least at 300 yards or less). It is a soft point rather than a hollow point, but that has to do with hunting performance rather than accuracy.

This publicity blurb certainly implies they make it or have them made to their specification. It surprises me a bit, as my personal experience with Winchester bullets in the past has been that they lack the precision of other brands. But I don't know who actually makes this one.

Ballistically, I think you'll find the Sierra 130-grain SPT comes closest. It's flat base, like the Winchester (many guns shoot smaller groups with flat base bullets, at least at 300 yards or less). It is a soft point rather than a hollow point, but that has to do with hunting performance rather than accuracy.
I agree about Winchester normally being inaccurate. I have some 130 Sierras laying around somewhere. I may try them, but I kind of shy away from them due to catastrophic failures in 7 Mag and game loss due to bullet failure.
I ended up with these win bullets because they are the old red box ones. When the box color changed, my local Wal Mart sold them for very cheap.

Back