270 WIN Hornady 120 grain SST Load Data

USAF Ret

So, I have some 120 grain .277 Hornady SSTs inbound. I have looked high and low for load data, specifically the COL. I will be doing reduced loads with H4895 and A5744. I think I can cipher the loads between what I have on the 110 and 130 and just split the difference.

Problem is, all load data for a 120 grain .277 for the 270 Win is based on the Barnes XFB. I would assume the COL would be different for a standard lead soft tip.

Any help is appreciated.

My Hornady 10th edition does not include that bullet, so it either is newer, or they didn't include it for some reason. I would call Hornady and ask. They are friendly and will tell you. Phone: 1-800-338-3220. Otherwise, I think you can assume they expect you to have the crimp cannelure even with the case mouth as the default seating depth.

My Hornady 10th edition does not include that bullet, so it either is newer, or they didn't include it for some reason. I would call Hornady and ask. They are friendly and will tell you. Phone: 1-800-338-3220. Otherwise, I think you can assume they expect you to have the crimp cannelure even with the case mouth as the default seating depth.
Have not done any crimping yet.

Not suggesting you have done any crimping. Your question was, what COL should be used with the bullet, which is another way of asking how deeply Hornady thinks the bullet should be seated. The answer is they intend it to be seated in until the cannelure is even with the case mouth, whether you crimp it or not. That's why the cannelure is at that location. Any commercially developed data using that bullet will be seated at that depth, which, in the 270W, it appears will produce a COL of 3.094". What depth your particular gun will prefer for accuracy, however, is quite possibly another matter. Only you can adjust that load detail to your gun's preferences.

Stagpanther has a point, though. Not all expanding bullets are designed for all rifle velocities. I have Hornady data for that bullet in the 6.8 SPC, from which the muzzle velocity is about 2400 fps. At 270 W velocities, you will probably want to test it on wet newspaper to see if it still holds together or not. Or, you could just call Hornady and ask.

I should have added--that particular sst bullet is one of the best performing ones out of my 6.8 spc AR--so I didn't mean to suggest it isn't a good bullet.

No data in my hornady 10th or 11th. If your looking at reduced loads anyway, i would just juse the data for the 130s.

Thanks Stag, that is what testing is all about.
That's true; but as already suggested here the type of bullet, how it's constructed, and the velocities it is effective in make a big difference in the range of calibers you can use them in--as well as what distances they can be fired at.

No data in my hornady 10th or 11th. If your looking at reduced loads anyway, i would just juse the data for the 130s.
I finally found one listing for seating depth, 3.165. The 120 is actually much shorter than the 130. I am still going to check with the OAL gauge. I also had a nice gentleman reach out who had loaded that very round with a reduced load and provided results he had along with pictures. Folks have been very helpful in this journey, you being one of the most to help. Thanks, Jon.

Just amazing it was so hard to find data.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 120 SST.JPG
    120 SST.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
130s are already explosive, so the 120, which is designed for the 6.8 velocity profile would be a bomb.
I am loading these for reduced recoil, so it should not have the explosive factor you are speaking of. My loads will probably not be much more than the 6.8.

Listed velocity range for this bullet is 2400-3000fps. As it is being used with reduced loads, should be a fine choice.
Thanks Jon.

According to the data given to me by Hornady, my 5744 loads should have a muzzle velocity between 2400-2500 with the 120 grain SST. That is the same listed velocity as the 6.8SPC with the same bullet. The 4895 loads should be around the same, maybe with a little more juice.

Should be a deer slayer out to 250 yards with low recoil.

I used the OAL gauge with the 120 grain SST in my Rem 700 Mountain. Read a 3.286. Book says COL 3.165. So I am ready to start loading.

Much appreciated for helping me figure this out. Now to get something with tight groups. I will be a happy camper. More questions may arise on seating depth testing with such a short bullet.

I just read the history of AA 5744--very unique powder.
I called Hornady due to the sparse amount of load information. They gave me the following...

The note on Intlerlock COAL for 270 is mine. Their note, these are for lead jacketed bullets. Not all copper.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture5744 270.JPG
    Capture5744 270.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 453
  • Capture5744 308.JPG
    Capture5744 308.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 450
  • Capture5744 7mm-08.JPG
    Capture5744 7mm-08.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 453
It's a 6.8 SPC bullet. Will blow to smithereens in 270 Win on deer.

Back