270 weatherby vanguard s2

radars

Inactive
I just purchased a Weatherby Vanguard S2 and am looking for som advise on what ammo to use with it for deer hunting?

For factory ammo, mine likes Federal (blue box) 130 gr.

My recommendation is get a box of 130 gr Federal, Remington, and Winchester to see which one your rifle likes best. All 3 are available in many places for under $20 per box (last time I bought any about a year ago).

Try several different brands, types and weights of factory ammunition to see what the rifle likes. For hunting deer I have had great luck with CoreLokt in both 30-06 and 303 Brit. CoreLokt is not expensive, but it is pretty accurate and puts the deer down if you hit the kill zone.

Federal premium with 130gr nosler ballistic tips. I've been using them for 15 or so years. So far, only one deer I've shot made it further than 5 yards.

Roper, that vanguard is most likely a 270win or 270wsm. I don't know of any 270wby being produced other than mark V's.

Weatherby originally produced the Vanguard series to sell rifles in non Weatherby chamberings. They are actually made by Howa for Weatherby. Weatherby chamberings are found in their Mark V. But to answer the OP's original question, 130 gr should work quite well for his purpose. Most manufacturers produce 270 ammo. I would try a few different brands to find out which one works best in the rifle.

I read what the OP wrote "270 weatherby vanguard s2" I haven't kept up with all the Vanquard chambers sorry about that

The factory uses Federal ammo for test firing and accuracy guarantee. It does very well in mine but it loves Hornady SST 130 or 140gr loads.

Try the Remington, Federal and Winchester first and sight it in. If you can live with their accuracy then any of those will put your deer down. I have found that Fusion and Hornady were more accurate in my rifle.

Back