.270 vs 7mm mag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastergunner

So firingline, another question for you.

My brother thinks the 7mm rem mag is a better round than the .270

What's your opinion?
Here's what I'm looking for in a round:

Price
Less recoil
I'm planing on using it for coyote and maybe deer, I was thinking a +243 first but looking around seems like the .270 is liked a little more
Follow up shot, you never know if a pair of coyote will come to your calling

I'll probably reload so easy of reloading would be nice, and cost of reloading.

The .270 :

1. Is cheaper to shoot with factory loads or your own reloads.

2. Has less recoil.

3. Is certainly adequate for coyotes and deer.

The 7mm Rem Mag may be better for long range shots at mule deer and larger game, particularly elk.

Neither is really a better cartridge - the 7mm is simply bigger (bullet diameter and weight, and powder capacity), higher velocity, more powerful, more costly, and recoils more.

Last edited:
Look at the ballistics and which has the most energy at the distance you'll be shooting. Then look at the price of factory ammo and you'll find the .270 is the best deal. But they're both excellent rounds. I have the .270 and for my big boomer a .300 Win Mag.

But they're both excellent rounds. I have the .270 and for my big boomer a .300 Win Mag.

Me too, but I also split the difference with my 7mm Rem Mag (which has yet to go on an elk hunt.)

For your stated purpose of coyote and maybe deer. Neither is the best. Your original idea of 243 is optimum. Least recoil, cheaper ammo, lighter gun. You can get 58 grain bullets at upwards of 4000 fps for coyote. Flat trajectory. Or you can load 100 grain bullets for deer or black bear. Save the 270 for deer or elk. 7mm mag is good for long range deer or general elk hunting, but it has lots of recoil.

Neither is really a better cartridge - the 7mm is simply bigger (bullet diameter and weight, and powder capacity), higher velocity, more powerful, more costly, and recoils more.

BINGO!!!

The 270 is a fine cartridge, and completely competent for your needs.
That from someone who does hunt deer with a 7MM Rem. Magnum!:D

Varmit loads:

.270 WIN- 90HP gr @ 3500 w/ BC around .270 and a 59 gr powder charge
.270 WIN 110VMAX @ 3300 w/ BC around .370 and a 52 gr powder charge

7Rem Mag- 110gr HP @ 3500 w/ BC around .200 and a 75gr powder charge
7Rem Mag- 120gr VMAX @ 3400 w/ BC of .365 and 70 gr powder charge

Deer Loads:

.270 WIN 130 gr SST @ 3100 w/ BC of .460 and a 59 gr powder charge
.270 WIN 150gr SGK @2900 w/ BC of around .480 and a 58gr powder charge

7Rem Mag 139gr SST @3200 w/ BC of .486 and a 68gr powder charge
7Rem Mag 160 gr BTSP @ 3000 w/ BC of .514 and 61 gr powder charge

In varmit weights (which, IME, you will shoot many more of), you get little or no increase in performance in exchange for more expensive brass, shorter life thereof, more recoil and 10-15% more powder used (you want 93 loads or 118 out of a lb of powder?)...

Deer weights ..... you get a couple hundred feet a second, and more efficent bullets (which will stretch your MPBR by 35 yards) at the cost of more expensive cases that don't last as long, more recoil, and again, 10%+ more powder.....

The .270 WIN .....WINS.

I have both a .270 Win and a 7mm Rem Mag and load for and hunt whitetail deer with both. At the range most GA deer are shot, the 7 mag just kicks harder. If I was going truly long range, I'd pick the 7 mag between the two.

But since you mention coyotes (varmints)...the 243 is unbeatable in that role.

What is unbeatable is to have one rifle that you use on everything, from grass rats, to coyotes, to deer, even elk.

Familiarity trumps most every other variable. JUst my opinion, but it's be darn hard to build a rapport with a shoulder beating caliber .... I even download my .270 when shooting at grass rats.....110 grains @ 3K pops them just fine.....

What is unbeatable is to have one rifle that you use on everything, from grass rats, to coyotes, to deer, even elk.

Familiarity trumps most every other variable. JUst my opinion, but it's be darn hard to build a rapport with a shoulder beating caliber .... I even download my .270 when shooting at grass rats.....110 grains @ 3K pops them just fine.....

I can do that with my 30-06 too...110 grain Sierra's at 3,500 fps...but I much prefer the lil 243...less bark, less bite...and it spreads out the shooting (not so many rounds through 1 barrel)

"One gun for everything" is a good idea...but its even better if you break it into "game size"...big game (30-06 for me), varmints (243 for me)...2 guns, but I'm well prepared for either big game or varmints (with either gun, in a pinch)

Seems like .270 is still going to be my first choice

Now! .270 VS .243?
Just curious, I like to shoot, so price is important for me
What have you guys paid in the past? (I tried to look online and on the site cabelas all the prices where the same from .223 to .308 so I didn't actually get a price)

I don't want a super loud rifle when I'm shooting coyote, that'll probably make my neighbors mad
What's a good load for less noise?
For the .270 and .243

55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip
42 grains of Varget

Blistering speed and not overly loud.

I use heavier bullets myself...

70 grain BlitzKings
40 grains of Varget

3,350 fps and excellent accuracy

I had a .243 when I was a kid.

Nice gun, wish I still had it.

That said, I have seen good sized bucks take center hits from a .270 WIN and wander away as if nothing happened. Oh, they died, alright, just not where I wanted them to.

I hunt in some wide open spaces ..... I've killed more than one deer at 1/4 mile, when there was no other option...... I would not have even attempted those shots with a .243.

That said, you'll burn a lot less powder w/ .243 WIN and 6mm bullets are cheaper than .277 bullets ........TANSTAAFL.

Last edited:
.270 WIN, 47.0gr IMR 4064, 110 gr VMAX, WIN case, WLR primer ...... 3K f/sec ...... makes pink mist on prairie dogs.

.270 WIN, 58.0 gr IMR 7828, 150gr SGK, WIN case, CCI 250 primer ..... 2925 f/sec ... flat shooting, and will go through both sides of a broadside deer @ 450 yards...... yet not penetrate past the diaphram of a deer shot facing you at 50 yards.

How did .25-06 not end up in the running?

Anyway, you're way over thinking things if you think the .243 wont cut the mustard for your needs IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back