.270 vs .338 win mag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keepin_Jeepin

So I have a guy wants to trade my Smith and Wesson M&P 9 for his Ruger M77 Mark II in stainless...

I have a Savage model 116 with a 4x12 vortex on it chambered in .270. It shoots great and I am working on getting it way out there. I think I have have only ran like 25 rounds through it so far though.

I am wondering if this trade would be worth it. I don't hunt, so I am not sure if the win mag would be any more useful at the range than my current .270? I don't have too many long range rifles that get used. I have lots of iron sight rifles and would like to do more long range stuff with optics.

I really love the Smith and Wesson gun, and wont be able to get another one (or afford it really). And I figured if I ever wanted another long range gun I would get a 7mm rem mag on a Savage with an accutrigger....

If i get the gun I would still need to get good glass for it. Its a good deal but not sure its really what I am looking for. Just wanting to hear input from guys with experience on this round and if its worth owning over what I already have. Or if I should hold out and really get what I want. I dont need the Smith and Wesson and it very rarely gets shot. Its just a gun I happen to like alot.

Think of a .338 Win Mag as a .30-06 on steroids, basiclly it shoots a heavier bullet at nearly the same trajectory as the 06. A 180 grain .30-06 and 250 grain .338 Win Mag have almost identical trajectories they are within a couple of inches of each other out to 500 yards. All the .338 Win Mag does is bring a much heavier bullet with more energy. IMO the .338 Win Mag is an awesome hunting round for all game in North America, but it isn't what I'd call a long range round.

If you want a .338 for long range shooting look for a .338 RUM, Edge, or Lapua. Those are the cartridges that can push the 300 grain bullets to 2600 fps or faster which are the true long range bullets in the .338 diameter. You can shoot long range with the .338 Win Mag but they are what I'd consider a medium range rifle.

I have been shooting a Savage 116 in .338 Win Mag for several years. Just a guess, but your trader is probably unloading his because the recoil was a bit much for him. Lots of people do that. Now, the .338 is not the nasty beast that some claim, but is does kick, and it can wear you out working up loads from the bench. Agree it's a hunting round. Keep the pistol. Find the right load for your .270. Enjoy.

Unless you hunt larger game such as elk, moose, bear and do it at longer ranges you do not need the 338. It is a good round, but for serious hunters, not plinking at the range.

There isn't an animal on the planet I'd hunt with a 338, and wouldn't hunt with a 270. If a 270 or 30-06 isn't big enough to do the job a 338 is really only a small step up in performance. I'd go straight to a 375 if I needed a bigger gun and pass over everything in between.

From a financial point of view, the 338 is probably the most valuable gun. But not enough to trade away a trusted gun I liked for one I'd not use.

Unless I was going to Alaska after Grizz, I'm comfortable that as long as I do my part, my .270 rifles loaded with 130 bullets will drop anything in the lower 48. I guess I read too much Jack O'Connor as a youth.

But the thought of Alaska, with highly aggressive bears as big as a compact car, make me want a bigger rifle.... a very big rifle. In Alaska, I think I would sleep with a .338 Winchester Magnum.

Just how far do you want to shoot????

My 270 Win using 150 gr. Hornady SST or IBs remain super sonic to about 1500 yards. Plenty accurate enough.

It does so without beating you to death.

[ I don't hunt, so I am not sure if the win mag would be any more useful at the range than my current .270?]

Stick with the .270.
Why take the additional recoil to shoot at the range???
Jerry

Unless you are going to hunt Elk or Moose regularly, then the 338 is a complete waste.

Its a nice gun, my borhter had one for a while due to a bullet weight requiremtn to hunt Bison (and yes he did get one). Shoots a lot nicer than a 7mm Rem Mag for sure, but he tamed his 7mm with a Limb Saver.

For even an occaisinal Elk or Moose I would take the 270 all day long (150 gr bullet). Its a great gun and caliber and only second to the 06 in versitaily.

This is coming from a guy no fond of the Striekrs pistols, but I would keep the pistol if you like it, it seems no use for the 338 in your world and you loose somethng you like.

Unless I was going to Alaska after Grizz, I'm comfortable that as long as I do my part, my .270 rifles loaded with 130 bullets will drop anything in the lower 48. I guess I read too much Jack O'Connor as a youth.

But the thought of Alaska, with highly aggressive bears as big as a compact car, make me want a bigger rifle.... a very big rifle. In Alaska, I think I would sleep with a .338 Winchester Magnum.

Nah, its not that bad. By the time you got the gun deployed you would be et. Problem is with a bear after you one shot at most and even a 458 Winchester won't drop one like you need.

Mostly they leave you alone and you leave them alone. 375 tends to be the minimum for those who hunt bear though 338 is used these days.

My Step Dads father shot 5 with a 30-06 and he tread in serious griz country. Its more about shot placement and circumstances.

stick w the 270. its a great all around round. If u are looking to abuse your shoulder at the range u can go w the 338 or just let your wife take a cast iron skillet to ur shoulder and save some money.

unless you need to kill something real big and/or dangerous or at extreme ranges, I think magnums are overrated, but I am not a big fan of shoulder busters.
One of my buddies shoots a .257 Weatherby magnum, and boy does it do a number on animals, but I think he believes in miracles.
I have yet to see him take an animal with one shot, ( four that I witnessed) he does get his animals, but they are wounded and require a follow up shot.
My feeling is magnums can breed a false sense of security for some owners, in that it will kill no matter what, shot placement is key with any cartridge, myself included.
I have taken four animals, three of them with three shots, however the first one I killed, I missed clean twice (buck fever) before I anchored him with the third shot.
I think practice is the key, knowing your ballistics, and being realistic about the shot. I have never shot past 250 yards but I am confident to about 350.
I would like to practice at 400-500 yards but I have no place I can shoot that far.

I don't think I would make that trade. From a hunting perspective, you are in great shape with the .270....believe me. Sounds like you're happy with the M & P 9. It would be over kill for deer hunting and based on your post you won't be hunting big game sooooo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back