.270-.308

mxsailor803

So I’m kicking around the idea to build a rifle for this cartridge. I’ve already got a .270IHMSA that I inherited from my grandfather and am looking at the 270-308 as a slightly more “modern” version. Anyone have experience with it?

Lange, exactly. Essentially what the 6.8spc could’ve been if using a standard diameter bolt face.

Hound, I kinda wonder IF a .243 case would survive the expander die?

....I kinda wonder IF a .243 case would survive the expander die?

As long as I use new cases, I’ve expanded .243 brass to .284” successfully with a tapered Redding expander. All they needed afterwards was a light trim to square up the mouths. The brass was FC from over 20 years ago, not sure about other brands.

Hound, I kinda wonder IF a .243 case would survive the expander die?

I resized 100 Starline 6.5 Grendel cases to 30 cal in one step the other night. Used a Sinclair steel expander with plenty of Imperial. Collapsed 1 case out of 100 and I don't think I had that one aligned correctly

I have went the other way also. Took some .308 Lapua Palma and necked it down to .260 Rem. Easier to expand than neck down in my opinion

I have built my fair share of wildcats. I no longer have the patience for building any new ones. I still occasionally shoot the ones I have, but no more new ones.
You have the 260 and the 7-08. If I were going to build a short 270 wildcat, it would be a .270PRC. That would be a neat wildcat.

Back