.260 or .270 ?

Mr.X

Rifle will be used for target...general plinking....maybe a game getter...any thoughts? Probably will reload for it eventually.

Well I pretty much swear by the .270 Although I do lean slightly to the heavy end in Bullet weight. I like the 140 grain Balistic tip. Average weight is (I think) 130. I have never shot nore seen Balistics for the .260 however so I can't tell you how the two compare. But I can tell you this.. YOu haven't seen what a bullet can do untill you see a 90 grain .270 bullet. Those things are FAST. Did I mention they are fast.

.260 is brand new this year...Remington.I was kinda leaning towards the .270....heard a lot of nice things about it.

If it is a new Round I would stay away from it. Make sure it will take off and more importantly that it doesn't have a tendancy to go Kaboom when it should only go boom.

I'd buy the .270 Win. You'll never have a shortage of brass and various bullets, for reloading. Also, perchance you went hunting somewhere and forgot your ammo (yes, boys and girls, it does happen), you'd be hard pressed to find a store out in the boonies that didn't have a box or two of .270 on the shelf. Also, it's a fine game cartridge, if you are accurate. If you're not accurate, then practice!

I've read several reports on the new .260, but don't know anyone personally who's shot one. I would wait to see how things shake out with it, before investing that kind of money in it.

JMHO.

The .26 is not new. It's the legitimization of the 6.5/.308. Ever heard of G. David Tubb? He shoots a little. Swears by the 6.5/.308. The .308, upon which the .260 is based, in inherantly more accurate that the than the .30-06, upon which the .270 is based. More efficient too!.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle

.270. Huge variety of factory loads and component bullets.

No .264 has ever been a commercial success in the US. Only one company AFAIK loads the .260.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr.X:
Rifle will be used for target...general plinking....maybe a game getter...any thoughts? Probably will reload for it eventually.[/quote]
Both rounds are good. The Rem. 260 is newer, but brass is available and there is no shortage of 6.5 mm bulletts. It is the darling of the hipower shooters and very accurate long range loads are out there, most built around about a 140 gr bullett. A 260 would make a great deer / antelope hunting rifle, but probably an expert only elk rifle. The 270 Win. is a legend, and good for deer / antelope, and probably much better for elk than the 260. Reloading is a snap, and no problem getting bulletts or brass. If accuracy and target shooting is your first priority get the 260, and if hunting is I would say the 270 is more versitile. You won't go wrong with either one , however. Good luck.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred J. Drumheller:
What's a "factory Load?" Do ya mean that ya kin git 'em store boughten?

[/quote]

Yes, at least those of us who are allowed to handle our own money.

Back