257 Roberts

i have a transtional 722 in 257 roberts(no rear sight boss), shoots very well. i have killed deer with it. .222-.244-.257-.300 savage-.308 in the rem 722.

Mine was new in the early 50's, later rechambered to 257AI, in Alaska. Now, back in the lower 48, barrel shot out, I put a Shilen SS match grade barrel on it, again in 257 AI. It is a coyote stopper, running 75 gr. hp's just over 3600 fps.

I'm gathering information for a friend who has a 722 in 257.

I can ask him; instead I will ask, what is the difference between the 722 and 722AI?

Have either of you had problems with the short action and chambering rounds?

Do either of you load for the 722?

i load for all of mine and overall lenth is not much of a problem, with todays powders you can use a little faster powder to help with longer bullets. my .244 has a slower twist and likes lighter bullets (90 grs or less). ps, i did take shells loaded with 175gr bullets for my M1A by mistake to shoot in my rem 722 .308 and had to shoot them as a single shot(to long for the 722 magizine).

The 722 is still a short action, and the 257 AI is simply an improved version of the 257 Roberts, allowing for more powder capacity, etc. P.O. Ackley was well known for his designs that removed some of the taper of a round, added a sharper shoulder, and enhanced it's performance. Yes, you do have to reload for it, as there is no factory ammo on the shelf. Dies and data are readily available.

no, i use mostly nosler-hornady hunting bullets in my hunting rifles. most loads i use are good for 1-1/4 five shot groups at 100 yards, some times better."

Back