250 savage ackley imp.

wildcat

I have nice sako action that I bought at a auction a year ago.I want to build a ulta lite sporter on it this winter.The action is the proper length for the 22-250 round.My present plan is to use a 25 cal.barrel and chamber it for 250 ackley imp.Does anyone have any experience with this round on deer size game? Does anyone have a used chambering ream for sale or rent?Does anyone have .257 1 in 12 twist barrel blank to sell?

Well, we know the .250-3000 is fine on smaller deer. We know the .257 Roberts is a fine deer round. Compare the ballistics in the book, between the Ackley Improved and the Roberts...

To get 3,000 ft/sec, Savage used the 87-grain bullet. I've killed around 20 deer with a .243, using the 85-grain Sierra BTHP at no more than 3,000 ft/sec (19" barrel).

Gale could tell you more than I about reamers, but I'd imagine most any of the barrel-makers could turn out a .257 barrel with any twist you want. I imagine a 1:12 twist might be a bit slow for the longer, heavier bullets, particularly the 117-grain; it would be okay on 87-grainers...I think I'm right; check around some more.

Hope this helps, Art

Thanks Art I have a 257 roberts ackley imp. with a 1 in 14 twist it is a tack driver with about any 75 or 85 grain bullet but 100s keyhole. You may be right about the 1 in 12 for my 250 sav. imp. project. I hope to here more ideas .

Yeah, a 1:14 is pretty slow. I wouldn't expect it to stabilize the longer bullet.

Somebody once posted a formula here on how to figure the appropriate rate of twist for a given bullet, but I stupidly didn't write it down. Time for a search of the archives...

The links available here include one which leads to a site that has rates-of-twist which are common for most rifles and cartridges. You'll have to do your own clicking, though.

Happy hunting!

Art

I just happen to have a 250-3000 Ackley Improved built on a Sako L579 action with a 24 inch number 3 contour Shilen chrome moly match barrel. I have been having some troubles getting it to shoot well (shoots about 1.25 moa five shot groups) and I posted about the problem a couple of weeks ago. What I left out of the previous post is the fact that I shot several sub-minute of angle groups with the rifle when it was new, but I had problems with it feeding the blown out case. My gunsmith removed part of the inside of the rails to allow the case to feed. Yesterday, a friend of mine suggested that the problems I have been attributing to a change in the bedding or barrel are probably a result of “opening” the magazine area up which no doubt made the action less stiff. I think you should discuss this possibility with your gunsmith before you modify the rails.

Last year I shot a white tail with a 85 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip in front of 44.0 grains of IMR-4350. That load chronographs at 3175 fps about six feet in front of the muzzle. The animal was killed very quickly and cleanly, but the bullet fragmented on impact. Indeed, Nosler recommends the 85 grain bullet be used for varmints only and I think that would be wise. I have achieved very good results with the Hornady 100 grain spire point loaded with 42.0 grains of IMR-4350. That load chronographed at 2928 fps 6 feet in front of the muzzle with a standard deviation of only 3.75 fps. I also got some nice groups with the 87 grain Hornady with 40.0 grains of AA2700 and 44.0 grains of IMR 4350 but I haven’t chronographed those loads. Both loads worked well on mule deer and pronghorn at reasonable distances.

Thanks for the reply Ankenny. I also plan to use a L579 action.I had considered the posibility of feeding problems, it does not seem likley that the small amount of metal removed to open the feed rails would affect the stiffness of the action much but I have been fooled before.Glad to here your little quarter bore works so well on critters.As most of the hunting here in the northeast is in heavy cover my gun will be much different from yours . I will likely use no. 1 conture choped off to about 20 inches .I will keep the weight as much under 7 pounds as I can make it.I had a good shooter go bad one time and found copper fouwling to be the bug-a-bo if you havn't tried it get some hoppys bench rest copper formula and see if you get green patches . Thanks again

A loud Amen! on that bore cleaner for copper. The groups of my two pets had been opening up; I went through the green-patch drill and was extremely happy with the tightening-up of the groups.

There was no obvious fouling apparent in the barrels when I started...

FWIW, Art

Back