.25 Bauer (Baby Browning clone) vs. 22mag mini-revolver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornered rat

Ok, friends,

would users of each state pluses and minuses (cost, reliability, precision at relevant ranges, ammo performance) of these two guns.

Four rounds of 22mag (30gr? 40gr? 50gr?) or five-six rounds of .25scp (50gr?)...semiauto or single action? Ease of getting repairs and parts? Etc.

Thanks.

------------------
Cornered "but cheery" Rat
http://ddb.com/RKBA

I have a Bauer and would not recommend it for Self Defense because of reliability. I have an NAA (albeit in .22LR) and I would highly recommend it.

I tried a Bauer and it slid out of my hand...slippery grips. I wonder about the mini revolver because of the reloading gymnastics needed after every four rounds...
Wonder how bad the recoil is in .22mag?

In terms of power level and reliability in penetrating skull (these ain't called "nose guns" for nothing) the .22Mag has it ALL over any .22LR/.25ACP.

The NAAs are *extremely* mechanically reliable, ignition is very reliable with good-quality ammo. I've never had a misfire with any ammo at all across two minirevolvers except for the time a gunsmith broke my MiniMaster and NAA still fixed it free in warrantee. Which is lifetime.

If you're buying an NAA in .22Mag you definately want the optional .22LR swappable cylinder to reduce practice costs. And yes, these work great...even to the point where a "Clint Eastwood style reload" to your pre-loaded LR cylinder set up with Yellowjackets or something is at least concievable in the middle of a gunfight.

As to recoil...with the smallest grips available for the Magnum frame (wood "Bird's head" grips) it's pretty stout. You can still learn to deal with it, but you've got other options too - an "intermediate wood grip" and the large ugly soft-rubber grips which came stock with my MiniMaster. I've since "carved that down" so that the whole rear part is shaved to where the backstrap of the grip frame is exposed and it's 1/2" shorter but still barely offers a two-finger grip and the area behind the trigger is still "filled in". On a Black Widow with the low-profile sights package (one of two standard setups) this would result in a "front-pocket size gun" that's still VERY comfortable to shoot and very controllable...and combat-accurate out to at least 25 YARDS, something very few mouseguns can boast.

NAA kicks BUTT!

See also the following thread:

<a href="http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000113.html">wormhole to "King of the Mouseguns" thread on Bladeforums Tactical</a>

Jim March

I really love my NAA mini revolver. BUT, let me make a recommendation. If you are getting one, realize that these are the VERY LOW END of self defense. 5 22mag out of a single action with 1 5/8 " barrel is not the optimum gun. If price is not a very large stumbling block, consider going up to a NAA Guardian. This is a 32acp cal gun that carries 7 shots in a DAO setup.

So lets see, 5 22mag single action (read very slow followup shots) and no real chance of reloading. Verses 7 shots of 32acp in DAO (read quick follow up shots) and having the ability to change magazines quickly for 6 more quick shots! And 22mag (being rimfire) is more prone to getting bad ammo. And 32acp is a much better self defense round. And there are many more type 32 loads out there for self defense.

The costs are about:
$180 for a minirevolver (comes with both cylinders in 22lr and 22mag)
$425 for the Guardian (comes with two magazines and a nice carry case)

There is one more option, the NAA black widow. It is really the 22lr/22mag minirevolver, but a little longer barrel (read more velocity) and better sights. The cost should be around $225 or so. If you are dead set for the minirevolver, I would recommend getting this one! You will also prob want to get smaller grips (the black widow comes with larger rubber grips, but it is simple to change them out)

I really love NAA, they make quality products. But I don't carry my minirevolver anymore, just the guardian. It is very easit to carry, almost as easy as the minirevolver. We need to have minimum standards for self defense, remember, if you do have to use your gun (god forbid), there would be a HUGE difference between these two.

Oh, by the way, there are other makers of 32acp guns (check them out)..........but no other minirevolver makers

[This message has been edited by Gino (edited March 13, 1999).]

I am just idly curious. I am not too impressed with small calibers or small guns...the only reason to have them is to be armed when you cannot be armed (in Minnesota metro area, that is just about standard). I am seriously wondering about moving to a shall-issue (and, preferably, open carry OK) state...just to feel better about life.

While I have never used the Bauer, I do own and sometimes carry a PSP 25, which is a licensed copy of the "Baby". I like it. It has never jammed, misfired or failed in any way. This is the one and only mouse gun I have ever found that I am willing to trust my life to.

On a power basis, the .22 WMR has it over any .22 Short, .22 LR, .25ACP or .32ACP. Wouldn't an S&W TI 2" in .22WMR with 8 rds. be nice?

Check out the new Kel-Tec P-32. This is a very light, very thin, .32 cal. that holds 8 rounds. Truely a "pocket pistol". Works great in hip pocket with folded hanky to cover the outline. Works well in front pocket in Uncle Mike's #1 pocket holster, and is very comfortable in an ankle holster. You won't believe how small, thin and light this gun is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back