25 ACP: Newest Muzzle Loader Primer

BigV

I just ran into this, http://www.thebuckskinner.com/omega.html 25 ACP Brass primer kit for TC muzzleloaders. Ever get that one shot out of the blue that goes off target by about 3" to 4" we call them "flyers"?? It could be the 209 primers that your using.
Some believe these flyers were the result of the 209 actually lifting the projectile off the powder charge simultaneous with igniting the powder. The much milder Small Rifle primer of the 25 ACP case ignites the powder just as instantly but lacks the energy to move the projectile off the powder charge therefore eliminating the flyers.
Check out the link above. Interesting read…

Hmm, kind of like crimping your handloads to get good powder ignition before the bullet moves too much. Makes sence to me. You want the powder to move the bullet, not the primer. I am sure we have had handloads that are crap without a crimp, but put a good crimp on them and they improve quite a bit.

I have had 357 loads that left unburned powder in the cases and the bore. I had not been using a good crimp. I started crimping them better and not only did I get a higher velocity, the powder was not left behind in the case and bore.

Back