.25 acp loadings

simonrichter

I've read somewhere that even for the diminutive .25acp, the power of the loads differ by manufacturer. Does anybody know what the weakest and the hottest loads in this caliber are?

This is very subjective,,,
But out of my Taurus 25-PLY,,,
Fiocchi seemed "hotter" than Aquila.

The Fiocchi went right through a 2x4,,,
The Aquila went through but not as robustly.

Again,,,
Not scientific at all.

Aarond

Winchester White Box 50gr FMJ shows 760 fps MV, and 64 ft/lbs? ME

Rem/UMC 50gr FMJ shows 760 fps MV

European ammo is usually a bit hotter.

I'd disregard any and all SD ammo, and just stick with 50gr FMJ. It was made to reproduce .22LR ballistics with a center fire cartridge.

50gr. FMJ is the only way to go. youtube has a lot of videos of this round being fired in all sorts of mediums often times with a chronograph.

European loads tend to be hotter than domestic loads thanks to the cheap old potmetal Ring of Fire guns that used to be sold all over the United States.

3 decades ago I had a .25 Beretta. The hottest factory load I found at the time was FMJ Dynamit Nobel Geco. Not sure if they still make it. It was noticeably stouter in recoil than the Remington FMJ load.

Was the American .25 auto ammo of 100 years ago (pre ring of fire) hotter than today's .25 ammo made in the US?.

"...went right through a 2x4..." Any .25 ACP will do that. At 100 yards too.
American ammo is loaded to SAAMI spec. European is loaded to CIP spec. Most American manufacturers load the Max load by bullet weight. Suspect European makers do too.
Comparing MV and ME shows they're all the same(760 FPS and 64 ft-lbs) except for Prvi which is a wee, tiny, small, bit higher in MV and ME. 771 FPS and 66 ft-lbs.

I’m not sure a few FPS is really gonna make a difference. It’s a multiple try ice pick that fits in a pocket.

Not that it’s a bad thing. I just doubt there’s much difference in any medium.

I cannot vouch for this myself, but I have read that part of the .25 ACP's poor reputation for terminal performance is due to the, shall we say, "generous" tolerances of some of the low-priced firearms historically chambered for it. Again, the only .25's I have experience with are higher quality examples like Beretta and Browning but I've read that guns like Ravens, Jennings, Davis, Bryco, etc. can often have oversized bores with allows gas blow-by and therefore significant reduction to the .25's already rather low velocity. If anyone has one of these guns and the ability to measure the bore diameter, I'd be interested to see the measurements.

"I cannot vouch for this myself, but I have read that part of the .25 ACP's poor reputation for terminal performance is due to the, shall we say, "generous" tolerances of some of the low-priced firearms historically chambered for it. Again, the only .25's I have experience with are higher quality examples like Beretta and Browning but I've read that guns like Ravens, Jennings, Davis, Bryco, etc. can often have oversized bores with allows gas blow-by and therefore significant reduction to the .25's already rather low velocity."

That's what I alluded to in post #8; the stories of the .25 bullets bouncing off of trash cans, etc. It was more because of the Raven's "loose" bore which reduced velocity than the .25 acp round's lack of power.

That's what I alluded to in post #8; the stories of the .25 bullets bouncing off of trash cans, etc.

Low velocity bullets, particularly RN and especially FMJ are prone to bouncing off angles or cured hard surfaces, even when they have plenty of power to punch straight through.

High speed rifle bullets will glance off angled or curved surfaces as well. Its often a matter of precise impact angle, and bullet shape, not the speed or power of the round.

Other times the shape speed and power are the determining factors.

I've seen .45 slugs bounce off something and when one step to the side changed the impact angle enough, the next shot went right through. All kinds of stuff that you wouldn't think can happen, happens.

I’m not sure a few FPS is really gonna make a difference. It’s a multiple try ice pick that fits in a pocket.

Not that it’s a bad thing. I just doubt there’s much difference in any medium.

this right here. same as for the .22lr snubs et al.

I have three .25 ACP pistols. I don't carry one for defensive purposes, but the early guns and tiny cartridges fascinate me.

I do not reload for them. Over time I have accumulated a variety of factory loads. The three guns I have are probably typical but are not guaranteed to be the final word for any of the variations.

Most of the loadings (I'm not going to list them all) shot about to the advertised velocities. As is common, one firearm shoot faster than the others. NONE are breathtaking.

Even with elephant guns on elephants, one does throw a bullet into an elephant's hindquarters and expect said elephant to cast off this mortal coil in an acceptable period of time. An elephant cartridge, from an elephant gun, must be delivered to the proper place.

A .25 ACP round is a rather weak reed. I feel that a brain shot to render the Central Nervous System is the best choice. But that is a hard shot to make under stress. Good luck.

I'd rather use a 106mm Recoilless Rifle, but they are hard to holster.

"It was made to reproduce .22LR ballistics with a center fire cartridge."

I sure wish someone would source this, as I really don't believe it. When the .25 was developed, .22lr was basically "standard velocity," and the .25 is 30-40% hotter than standard velocity .22 from a 2" barrel.

Please note that I said "2 inch barrel."

in a quality firearm like those made way back and a few made now (not Ravens et al.) can handle a properly loaded .25 acp round of 50gr. FMJ @ 825 fps from a 2" bbl. however, while the pot-metal guns can do so also, they cannot do so for very long. thus the watered down fodder you see on the shelf. .22lr ammo is marketed for rifles thus no need to water it down.

"I sure wish someone would source this, as I really don't believe it. When the .25 was developed, .22lr was basically "standard velocity," and the .25 is 30-40% hotter than standard velocity .22 from a 2" barrel.

Please note that I said "2 inch barrel." "

Don't know how reliable the following is, but I've also heard in yt videos, so it must be true.

From wiki:
"The cartridge was designed by John Browning for early blowback pistols that lacked a breech locking mechanism. The cartridge was designed to duplicate the performance of a .22 Long Rifle cartridge, when fired from a two-inch barrel."

At 1:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQszAJZA1Ls

Last edited:
Back