25 Acp ... Black Powder Related ... Really!

BigV

Anyone out there shoot a .25 ACP??
Here’s why I am asking:
I recently converted my TC Omega muzzle loader from using a 209 shotgun primers as the ignition source to .25 ACP primers. The conversion requires the use of empty .25 ACP casings with PRIMERS ONLY. If anyone out there shoots a .25 ACP and wouldn’t mind saving me the empty casing, I would be greatly appreciate it. I would gladly pay shipping to have them sent to me in Akron, OH.
I knock out the old primers and replace them with new ones and then use them in my Omega.
Please let me know.
Thanks!

If you can't find someone who'll ship you a few, here are a couple of ideas.

1. Go to your local shooting range. See if you can spot someone shooting a .25acp. Ask if you can clean up their brass after them.

2. Ask the range oficer if you can go through their brass bucket every once in a while.

3. Ask your shooting buddies if they know anyone who shoots .25acp.

4. Buy a box of .25acp ammo and use a bullet puller if you need to.

I have been able to get all the brass I need using these 4 tactics. Except on #4, I always had a gun to shoot the ammo through.

Just curious

Why would you convert from 209 primers to primed .25 ACP casings? I am failing to see any advantage. Then again I shoot flintlocks and think that percussion stuff is a passing fad :)

I posted this on another forum. Perhaps it will answer your question(s):

I just ran into this, http://www.thebuckskinner.com/omega.html 25 ACP Brass primer kit for TC muzzleloaders. Ever get that one shot out of the blue that goes off target by about 3" to 4" we call them "flyers"?? It could be the 209 primers that your using.
Some believe these flyers were the result of the 209 actually lifting the projectile off the powder charge simultaneous with igniting the powder. The much milder Small Rifle primer of the 25 ACP case ignites the powder just as instantly but lacks the energy to move the projectile off the powder charge therefore eliminating the flyers.
Check out the link above. Interesting read...

Ok

That makes a certain amount of sense. It does seem like an awful amount of bother when you could just have a nice sharp flint and some 4f in the pan. Good luck with it.

Uhhhh...........

This is probably a dumb question, but why are you using shotgun primers instead of percussion caps in the first place?????

Isn't muzzle loader/blackpowder shooting about maintaining at least a little semblance of originality??

Dumb question, I guess, but all of my muzzle loaders have used percussion caps.:confused:

I have shot and hunted with muzzle loaders for over 35 year. I still have a custom hand built Kentucky Long Rifle that was built for my father years ago and an original TC Hawken .50 both percussion cap guns. Over the years I have found the old style percussion rifles to be, well, not so reliable. I can’t count the times when the cap fired and the powder didn’t, or the cap didn’t fire at all. So I opted for the most reliable, accurate muzzle loading rifle on the market today. In-Line muzzle loaders are just that. Accurate beyond 200 yards and as reliable as any center fire rifle. Some folks are traditionalist and don’t believe the new in-lines are muzzle loaders and that’s fine with me. I enjoy shooting my old percussion cap guns as much as the new in-lines, but when it comes to the hunting scenario, I opt for the modern stuff.

All joking aside

And we are WAY off topic here in the handgun section, but having owned and shot a multitude of frontstuffers over the last 30+ years I can say with absolute confidence that I experienced far more trouble with percussion rifles than I ever have with a QUALITY flintlock. Quality being the operative word. There are still Spanish made junkers out there that aren't worth spit. Bad weather, good weather, whatever. Once you learn the ins and outs a good flinter will go boom just fine.

How many do you want?

I'm in Stow/Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.

I have a box of 50 rounds of .25acp that I picked up from an estate sale.

You're welcome to them.

Hal,
Thanks! I am just looking for the empty casings. So shoot them up and save the casings. I will take them all.
PM me and we can hook up.
Thanks

Hal,
Thanks for your overwhelming generosity in giving me those 25 ACP shells!
It was great to me you and put a "face to a name" as well.
If your ever in need of anything, just drop me a line or give me a call.
Another perfect example of taking care of our own on this board!
Again, thanks a million Hal!

BigV

Back