25-45 Sharps question

mxsailor803

Alright guys, now that the 25-45 Sharps has been out for a bit, has anyone out there made a bolt action version? Just throwing the idea around about it.

25-45 Sharps is a .223 necked up to .257. Made for places the .223 isn't allowed for deer and up game. Another answer to an unasked question.
Apparently, only Black Forge of Orlando, Fla. makes AR barrels. Only Sharps Rifle Co. loads ammo.

It's still a bottle neck just resized for a .25 bullet. I can't remember if it even requires trimming like the .300bo does. It's not a screaming round but a capable mid-sized round.

"Does it headspace on the case mouth or what? There's no rim. Or does it maintain a bottleneck case to some extent?" A straight walled .223 case would be about the right diameter to hold an 8mm(.323) bullet BTW.
The 25-45 still has a viable shoulder and uses a full length (45mm) case. I looked at it carefully before deciding to go with the 6x45mm(243x223) but couldn't get enough interest to go with the 25-45. Bullet selection(especially with the lighter bullets) is better with the 6mm/243 caliber and I already have a wide variety of 243 diameter bullets so I went with the 6x45mm. After setting up the rifle(AR15) I found that cases have to be trimmed back to 43mm for some bullets to fit the magazine which might or might not be a factor with a bolt action platform.

The .25-223 wildcat has been around for decades, and was likely nothing more than an offshoot of the .25-222 and .25-222 Magnum wildcats.

I believe John Wootters was one of the early proponents of the .25-222, and wrote about it in a book on Wilcats in the late 1960s/early 1970s.

I believe John Wootters was one of the early proponents of the .25-222, and wrote about it in a book on Wilcats in the late 1960s/early 1970s.

25(or 257) Copperhead was the moniker for the 25/222?????

Yes. The Copperhead, that sounds familiar.

But now I can't remember if it was Wootters or Jim Carmichael who came up with the round... I'll have to look in my books when I get home this evening.

But now I can't remember if it was Wootters

He was quite a fan of the little wildcat. The basis for his rifle was the little Sako action IIRC. That was the big factor for some of those little wildcat cartridges back in the day-those Sako actions made for very petite nice shooting rifles. Also worked well in Rem single shot XP.

I remember at one point in the early 1980s there was a little buzz about the DoD looking at the .257/223 wildcat as a potential replacement for the 5.56, both in rifles and automatic weapons, since the 6mm SAW project had crapped out.

Probably just a couple of guys sitting around going "Hey, wouldn't it be a great idea if..."

Back