.25-06 in the new stevens 200

MILbolt

Inactive
Hey fellas,
When I was upstate PA deer hunting, my father-in-law and brother
in-law took a cruise to a local gun shop to redeem some winnings from a drawing and buck contest at Pops church..... anyway... Pop was telling
me about the new Stevens/Savage 200 for $$249... the shop owner
showed this economical piece and it looked good.:D Drilled and taped, synthetic stock, piller bedded, nice trigger, easy bolt take down. It comes in .25-06, .30-06, .308 win, .243 win, and some other I can't think of.

My question is, has anyone here shot one or own one, and how does the
.25-06 handle varminting? I saw the speer tnt 87 grainers.... and was wondering how accurate they are and to what range are they accurate?
How about the Hornady v-max?
Do you all think I shoud rely on a .243win, 6mm remington or .22-250 instead of .25 for vaminting?

Do you all think I shoud rely on a .243win, 6mm remington or .22-250 instead of .25 for vaminting?

Yes. The .243 (or 6mm) will do 99.5% of what the .25-06 will do on varmints, for less recoil & money. Having said that, the Stephens is an outstanding value in a turnbolt - it's just the old Savage pre-accutrigger for $150-$200 less, IINM.

thanks

freedom,
I can't see how 14 thousands can be better... 243 vs. .257.
Just more bullet selection.. Some say to use FMJ, for say, coyotes to
prevent pelt damage. I wouldn't want to use FMJ. 50 grain 6mm doesn't cause pelt damage? I know that the 87 grain is the only varmint bullet availible for .257. That's what I'm debating about...

Is the .243 winchester effectiveness better longer range?
I have a friend who has a Argentine 1909 barreled to .243 winchester
extra heavy bull barrrel for 500 bucks.

It's not the bullet size. You asked about varmint hunting. When most people think varmints they picture sitting out in a field popping pests and the smaller case of the .243 or 22/250 helps barrel life here. You can burn up a barrel in a single day varmint shooting. If your taking out a coyote or two then a barrel wont heat up on you.

The .243 still seems like the perfect coyote cartridge to me though. Plenty of power way out there for small/mid sized critters. If you also want to hunt deer get that 25/06, or a 7mm/08.

I have a Savage, basicly the same gun, most will shoot sub MOA sometimes even with factory loads. How far out, that depends on too many factors, size of target, your shooting, your rest, etc.

Right. Get .25-06, .257 roberts, or larger if the rifle is ALSO gonna serve as a deer gun (but even then, the .243 is a fine deer cartridge). If not (if strictly a varminter), then the .243, .22-250, .204 ruger, .222, or .223, in that range, is better for varmints up to and including coyotes. To strictly answer your question however, NO, a .243 is not as good as a .25-06 at very very long range. But can you actually hit a small varmint at very very long range? (I'm calling over 400 yards very very long)? If not then may as well use a .243 or smaller, because at 300 yards or less, it's virtually the same as a .25-06 in terms of trajectory and wind drift. But the answer is that, if you're really and truly going to try to shoot at animals without getting closer than 450, 500, 600, 700 yards, then .25-06 with 117 or 120 gr bullets will defeat wind drift better than .243. For that matter, a .300 winmag will be even better. But 95% of the time, you're going to be able to sneak within 300 yards or so of your prey. If it's a coyote, you'll probably call it into 50-100 yards, so .223 is fine. Don't forget, .25-06 is hard on the shoulder after about 20-30 rounds if you don't have a decelerator, and even then it will hurt eventually. Not to mention the extra cost & noise of the larger caliber. And reduced barrel life due to being more overbore. Even .243 & .22-250 will hurt after a day of shooting.

yeah you can.....

Feedom said,.....

But can you actually hit a small varmint at very very long range?

The shop owner I saw the stevens at shoots a worked 6mm remington
at 1000 yards and takes woodchuck. Worked as in heavy barrel
glass bed, worked trigger, serious gun fellas...
Some folks I told this to said they didn't believe me.

So the question is how well will a stock rifle do?

Last edited:
Back