25-'06 deer loads

BMiracle

Just bought a 25-06. Never shot this cartridge before. What do you all recommend for about medium size white-tails. Probably about 150-175 pounds. Been thinking of the 100 gr Nosler Ballistic tips. I sure love the 150 grainers in my 30-06. Whould 100 be too light or should I step up to the bigger ones---115 I think--can't remember.

[This message has been edited by BMiracle (edited September 12, 2000).]

BMiracle, I'm not an expert, but I've hunted deer and feral pigs for the last 6 seasons with a .25-06. The deer in Edwards/Sutton counties where I hunt run somewhat smaller than Panhandle deer, 80 lbs for a big doe and 125-135 lbs for a good sized buck. I only shoot the smaller hogs, 80-120 lbs. I've used 120 grain Remingtons PSP's and the similar 120 gr. load in Winchesters . Except for one time, each shot has sledgehammered the game animal. Game is pretty plentiful on the company ranch, so shots are easy to choose- I go for the broadside neck shot on the does and just beneath/behind the ear on the pigs from 100-200 yards.

I get the sense that the 120 grainers may be overkill, that 100's might do just as well.

The hot load around here for the .25-06 is the 115 (I think) Ballistic Tip. Don't have a recent Nosler Manual, so it may be the 120.

A very good caliber that is really gaining ground here. My bro-in-law refers to his as a "deer laser".

Giz

Back